Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Life, the Universe & Everything - Keynote Speaker

I just realized that I hadn't done a post on the keynote speaker from my LTUE Conference I attended. As it was amazing, I am going to quickly rectify that situation. The keynote speaker was Tracy Hickman co-creator of the Dragonlance Chronicles. The following are my notes and thoughts on the speech.

~ Principle #1 - No book lives until it is read. The reader creates the meaningful experience.
*Literature is an art form where the final performance takes place while the original artist is not present.
*The meaningful experience is found in the white space between the words. It is what happens when the reader and the writer's creation come together.
*It does NOT matter if you are published. It matters if you are read.

~ Principle #2 - The spirit of the work speaks to us through the white spaces between the words.

~ Principle #3 - The only constant is change... each thing we write and every experience we have cannot help but change us.

Tracy was awesome and really brought his points home. Each point is worth pondering.

I am going to a writer's conference this weekend (yippee!), so I won't be around much. I promise to have notes to share next week for anyone who is interested! :)

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great conf. I like the idea that the art isn't complete until the reader does his part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that difference between being read and being published. I had never thought about that in so many words, but it's something that I have felt is true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh! I loved this! Thanks for posting! She does sound absolutely incredible! And I love that no book lives until it's read. So profound and so true! Eeeh! you're so lucky! Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like it was an inspiring conference. And yet another conference to attend? Wow, I'm jealous! I'll have to live vicariously through your experiences! I haven't started the conference circuit yet! I hope to this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would certainly think that rule about no book living until it is read is true. Oh, how I love to read a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dontcha love conferences? Take good notes so you can share with us again, and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love -it does not matter if you are published. It matters if you are read.- That's a relief. I'm going to my first writer's conference next weekend. Yea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful synopsis of a talk. Thanks for sharing the inspiration tips.

    ReplyDelete