Monday, April 6, 2009

Ouch! My pants!

Sometimes I just find myself needing a swift kick in the pants. You may not have noticed, (but I guarantee, I have enough for both of us) the fact that my little meters on the right haven't changed in awhile. This is for two reasons.

1 - I have a new project that I haven't put up there yet.

2 - I need a swift kick in the pants

I don't know about everyone else, but when I get back from vacation I often find myself playing catch-up on all the things I've missed while I've been gone. This is great and horribly efficient of me for the first few days, but this time it has somehow gone awry. I find myself planning out new projects and getting every little thing that crosses my mind done, but continuously putting my writing off.

My friends, this will not do. My new project is awesome! It is exciting! It is not, not, not less important than that 13th load of laundry or the banister that suddenly needs to be repainted! I will not let my vampiric house suck the writer out of me!

I will write!

I will create!

I will move that status bar!

Now, can someone remind me how? ;)

18 comments:

  1. Just found your blog and I love reading through it and relating to someone else's writing and creative process.
    Keep up the good work!

    Oh, and I may be stealing your idea for a work count bar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not writing much either lately. I need a kick in the butt too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *SWIFT HARD KICK*

    Advice? Just do it!!!! I'm sure writing this post will help you. But don't sacrifice other things that matter more. Sometimes I ignore my family to write, and that's never good. :S

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not the only one. I think we all need a swift kick now and then. Myself, I'm still trying to find the balance between housework, family and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go, JJ, go! (If that didn't work, I have a pair of really pointy cowboy boots I use on myself you can borrow.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! I loved this Jenn! I can't tell you how often I get side tracked from writing. I mean, really, do I need to organize the linen closet today?

    I honestly don't know why sometimes I push it off, especially when I have a project I'm excited about. Only thing to do? Chain yourself to the keyboard. ; )

    Vampiric house sucking the writing out of me. That's is an image I'll remember for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kicks are good. I need one too. I'm getting distracted by all this pretty sunshine...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just gotta sit down and do it. :-)

    But I know it's hard to get back into the swing of things after a long vacation, so be gentle on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of the vampiric house too. So apt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's just like bikeriding. Grab your pen or sit in front of your computer, and your hands will do the rest. :) Good luck with the writing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the support everyone! You have me convinced, I'm setting aside a little over an hour this afternoon to do some writing. I stole the house's fangs and I'm all set! :D You guys are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, how did you remove your house's fangs? I need to know. How about we swiftly kick each other into writing productivity? Good luck on meeting your goals today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jessie - it is a delicate procedure. I perform it with an intense amount of candles. You see, I find that if the air in my house smells REALLY good then I can ignore all the little things that need to be done. LOL It doesn't work for everyone, but it works for me :D

    I'll totally kick you! Ready-Set-Go!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a status bar I haven't moved in a while either. The reason for me is because I've finished the first draft and I'm now editing and I haven't started the new project, although I have one in mind. So I guess, I'm sort of between projects?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post, Jenn! I loved opening my email and seeing chapters 2&3, by the way! Way to pull the house fangs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jennifer - I know that feeling, but editing is definitely progress. Sounds like you're doing just fine sans foot meets fanny. :)

    Shanti - thanks! :D I'm working on it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! You hit a nerve. Me too! Need to get back on track with my writing. Thanks for the kick!

    ReplyDelete
  18. No problem Rev. Christine, happy to help :)

    ReplyDelete