Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Do you know when it's done?

As writers, I think one of the most asked questions is, "How do I know when it's done?"

I used to ask this all the time and I decided that maybe as writers we will never really feel done.

Guess what, I think I was wrong.

That's right, mark it on your calendars. This only happens about once every ten years.

Okay, more like ten minutes, but who's counting? ;)

I think I've found my last revisions on Oracle. It isn't even the same book it was when I typed "The End" last December. It has changed so much and gotten so much stronger. At some points I felt there were always going to be things that bothered me about it, but I've pin-pointed and resolved them one at a time.

Now, for the first time, I'm confident this rewrite is going to resolve the last loose end that will truly tighten the story. It's a massive relief to feel like I can finally put it aside and feel finished.

Don't get me wrong... I know that if I get an agent/editor that I will probably have to do more revisions and I'm fine with that. I just know that this will make it as good as I am currently capable of getting it--and I'm pumped!

Here is the semi-new opening. I probably won't be changing much here. Let me know what you think. Are you hooked?

Chapter 1: Weapon

Why was the fool girl out in the desert with a monsoon coming anyway? Cam shook his head and crouched further down beside the prison van. The wind buffeted his orange uniform around his body. The weight he’d lost in prison made everything loose on him.

He watched Alexis Porter shade her eyes, trying to see through the other window. He was intensely grateful that the van didn’t have any windows in the back. It insured she wouldn’t see the guards inside, his guards, lying unconscious in the prisoner area. They wouldn’t remain that way forever. He needed to make his move soon.

She shrugged, seeming to determine the van was empty—exactly as he’d hoped. Her long, dark curls whipped wildly in the turbulent air. Climbing back on her bike, it took all her weight to push down one pedal, straining against the rising wind. In the waves of blowing sand, she’d only gone about twenty feet before he started having difficulty making out her retreating form.

He took a few deep breaths. When he cornered her she’d be automatically wary. His uniform alone would raise serious suspicion. There was nothing he could do about that now. He’d play his part. The girl was here and he’d come for her.

When he felt confident she wouldn’t turn around—Cam ran after her.



8 comments:

  1. Yay! It really is so hard to figure out when you're "done." I only feel close to done on two of my projects. The others seems to span on, infinitely in need of revision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on feeling good about the re-write. :)
    I'm still a little partial to the version I read because I liked connecting to Lexi right way, but you know my feelings about Cam, so I like this version too.
    My revisions are SO close to being finished. I'm hoping I'll feel as good about mine. Let us know how submissions go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I'm hooked. :)

    And I agree, sometimes you do really know when it's "done".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this opening, I'm definitely hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natalie - This is the only one I'm close on, but I'm SO ready to move on to Insomnia!

    Karen - Yeah, we get right into Lexi right after this, so hopefully it still works :)

    Jennifer - Thanks. I'm glad you liked it!

    MeganRebekah - Yay! That's a very good thing. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great opening! And, how cool to feel 'done'. I felt that way once. I hope to feel that way again...someday....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great hook. What does he want? Does he want to kill her? With a name like Cam I think maybe they'll fall in love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tess - Thanks, yeah...it's so close and it's such a great feeling

    Jessie - haha! Great questions, maybe someday you'll find out. ;)

    ReplyDelete