Wednesday, August 19, 2009

One Reason I Love Ice Cream

I like variety. I love having a different thing every time I go to a restaurant. My DVD collection includes everything from SpongeBob and Mary Poppins to The Sixth Sense and What Lies Beneath. My MP3 player proudly lists songs by Def Leppard, Barenaked Ladies, Nickelback and Buckcherry alongside songs by Neil Diamond, Fergie, Paramore and Andrea Bocelli. And yes, I also have country, rap and heavy metal.

I don't like to be tied down to one particular area. I rebel against everyone's insistance that I MUST get steak when at a steak house. I literally have NEVER had a favorite flavor of ice cream. There are too many wonderful options. Why force me to narrow it to just one? What kind of cruel injustice is that? (Stick with me, we're almost to the point.)

This is why I love writing YA. It is the big, comfy, genre melting pot. This is a place where I can feel completely comfortable throwing a vampire, an alien, a cyborg and a zombie in the same book. I can have it all. I don't have to choose, and I don't want to.

I love the unique and fascinating ideas this environment invites. I love hearing about fellow writers who have crazy good ideas and don't have to worry about what genre it will fit into.

So out with catagories, I say!

Give me your robot, your werewolf,
Your huddled fairies yearning to fly free.
The rotting mummies of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, genre-rejected to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden keyboard.

Yes, I'm tired and there is every chance my brain was replaced by fluffy cellulose this weekend--want to make something of it?

Now, PLAY BALL!


18 comments:

  1. It's good to see that you have some Canadian bands on that list. I agree with variety. I listen to everything. Keith Urban, Weepies, to Painting Daisies.

    I agree that YA gives you a little more room than other genres. You can throw some mystical creatures in or make it a down to earth drama. It's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, no. I LOVE fluffy cellulose! ;)

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patti - Yay, a kindred music spirit. :)

    Janna - LOL, good to hear ;) and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love variety, too. But one area it's hard for me to embrace huge change is writing. I like to stick to the rules. I like to be predictable--in a good way :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy - I agree when it comes to the actual rules of writing. I don't like crazy out of form prose. It takes me out of the story. I just like unique twists and turns in the plot and the flexibility to do stuff like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your music picks! I have much of the same on my ipod. Writing YA does give you more leeway than other genres, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGosh I love your YA creed!!!!!!!! Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You go, girl! I write YA, women's fiction, and romance. I try writing category romance sometimes too. But I do feel restricted by what's selling right now, which sucks. Which is why I'll turn to women's fiction when I have one of those "book of the heart" sort of ideas that doesn't fit neatly into any category.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha...your music tastes sound like mine! And there's NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. ;-p

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lazy - It totally does, and may I say--even from so far away, I can tell your music taste is excellent. :P

    T. Anne - Thanks :D hehe It was fun

    Stephanie - It's nice to have the flexibility to move around when you want. Sounds like you have a nice variety.

    Melissa - Absolutely not! :D Go us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the analogy! YA is convenient like that, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Down with Categories! :) and YES to Ice Cream!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anna - Thanks :)

    Kat - Yes... let's all have Ice Cream as a symbol of solidarity! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, ice cream. My great weakness. Who can choose just one? I wouldn't want to offend all the ones I leave out. Variety is the Baskin Robins of life! Fun analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL I am laughing so hard right now. I'm sure lady liberty wouldn't mind the changes to the poem. :) Love it. And you are so right....well except for the part where you said you've never met an ice cream flavor you didn't like.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay I'm too exhausted to post your poem on my blog right now, but I will in the future. Loved it. Don't worry, I'll give it proper shout outs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. lotusgirl - yes...reading this post again has made me hungry.

    Kasie - haha, happy to entertain you. Yeah, me and the lady had a chat... she approved :)

    Karen - Go ahead :) hehe and get some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Clever, clever Jenn. Your poem is so witty! Maybe I need cellulose in my brain!

    ReplyDelete