Sunday, August 9, 2009

Strange Characters


I started reading a book about building believable characters. It's really interesting. It goes into a lot of detail about how you should know your characters as well as you know yourself.


I thought it would be a fun exercise to name some weird facts about ourselves that others might not know. Just to make the point of exactly how well we know ourselves.


In the comments--put in at least one thing that isn't commonly known about you. Here are a few of mine.


~ I was fifteen when I got my first kiss--and then I got 12 in one night. A wacky friend lined up every guy at my birthday party and he pinned my arms and walked me down the line. I was too shocked to respond at the time-- but he got an earful the next day.


~ I was pulled over 8 times before I ever got a ticket--this all happened before I turned 17. Did I mention that I'm kind of a speed demon?


~ I never had to study in school, everything came easy to me--but I often planned study parties with my friends, because I knew they needed to study and I wanted to feel normal.


~ I once received an invitation to a high school dance via a toilet seat that was left on the floor of my room.


~ I was very shy when I was younger and by the time I went to high school I felt pinned in by that stereotype. So, I convinced my mom to let me change schools so I could get a fresh start. When I graduated I was known as one of the most outgoing girls in school.


~ I have one of the craziest car accident stories ever. (ask Kasie West)


~ My sister is one of those people whose lives should be made into a book or movie--but I'm pretty sure she'd kill me if I did.


~ My mom is a ridiculously strong woman--but also one of the funniest people I've ever met. When I was a teenager she used to tell all my friends stories about how she had a magical gorilla toe that made all the men want her.... no, I'm not kidding.


Enough about me, what about you? What are your strange facts? Do you think you could fill out a similar sheet about your protagonist?

10 comments:

  1. Yep, I could definitely fill this out on my characters. I know way too much about them all thanks to pages of notes and backstory.

    As for me, hmmm....
    I hate being told what to do. Telling me to do something pretty much ensures that I will NOT be doing it. If I forget to buckle and the car beeps at me and flashes the buckle sign, I get mad at it for trying to boss me around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan - haha! I love that. Warning: Driving around when mad at your car might cause road rage. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm related to Jesse James somehow. My mom always tells me how but I can't seem to remember. I think he's my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great uncle or something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm...I came in second in the Kansas City's Worst Singer contest back in 1991. They even played me on the radio. I saw the D.J. that hosted it just last year, and he still remembered me. How embarrassing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your random fun facts you posted. Here's one of mine:

    I really like to pinch people. As a child I was known as "the little pincher girl" and as an adult I still like pinching people. You've been warned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's very important to know our characters really well. That's why a lot of the time, it takes me four or five drafts of a novel to REALLY know my characters. Working through their story over and over helps a lot.

    I pierced my bellybutton when I was 18. Most people don't know that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Lady Glamis, it takes me a few drafts before getting a handle on who my characters really are.

    I had to take my drivers license test four times because I couldn't parallel park, which I took great exception to. Why should parallel parking be an automatic pass or fail. If you can't parallel park, you're just not going to park there.

    Sorry that was my Monday morning rant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mom has a gorilla toe? I have a dog eye!! (It's half brown and half blue, the other is all blue.)

    Yeah, it's magic, in case you were wondering.

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm incredibly lucky. If there's a contest or a drawing, you don't want me to be in it. I once won $100 at a family Easter egg hunt and 100 Jazz tickets. That was fun.

    I attended four different universities in the state of Utah before graduating. That wasn't so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these ! *smiling*

    Hmmm....something about myself...okay: I hate when people put their bare feet on me -- don't touch me with your bare feet --have no idea why I am like this *laugh*

    ReplyDelete