Sunday, August 2, 2009

Taking a Personal Day

I tend to focus on writing and don't generally get into too many "personal" things on my blog. Today, I read an agent's blog that absolutely touched my soul--in order to explain why, I have to tell you a little more about myself. If I hear snoring in the back... I'll be terribly put out. :P

I have two wonderful children, and each has been incredibly difficult to get. I've suffered through years of infertility, miscarriages, toxemia and premature birth. If it weren't for medical miracles, I'd be childless.

Almost two years ago, my husband and I decided to try for one more. This is my second marriage, and we don't have any biological children together. It was something we really wanted to share, but it was a difficult decision. After my last was born, my doctor told me that he didn't recommend that I have any more children. I nearly suffered a stroke and the baby was delivered 7 weeks early. He is fine and healthy now, but it was a difficult time.

We've been trying for two years and have had no success. Again there are drugs and more drugs that are supposed to be helping--but to no avail. We've gotten that beloved + on a pregnancy test once, but it ended in miscarriage shortly after.

We're now in a tough spot. The doctor is ready to wash her hands of us. She told us that she wants to refer us for In-Vitro and she said we may just want to consider adoption.

It's a hard place to be. Adoption, surrogacy, In-Vitro... they are all so expensive. We're lucky enough to have two children and we are coming to terms with the fact that this may have to be it. We are incredibly lucky to have them, we just really felt there was supposed to be another...

It is because of these experiences that I am in awe of Sara Megibow of Nelson Literary Agency.

How wonderful that there are people like her in the world. I feel lucky, as a writer, to know there are agents around with such big hearts.

If you get a chance, pop on over to Kristin Nelson's blog and give Sara the recognition she deserves. It is the selfless acts of courage like this one, that still make this world an incredible place to be.

From the heart of a mother, Thank you Sara.

9 comments:

  1. I'm right there with ya...only I'm 38, not married, and it's looking pretty dire. I had a miscarriage when I was married and we tried for a couple of years and never could get pregnant again. We ended up divorcing with no children and now I'm in a serious relationship but he's not sure he wants another child (he has one by a previous marriage). I figure at this point, it is what it is and I'm just going to have to face that it might be my lot in life not to be a mom. That's okay...it's just a tough one to grapple with when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read it yesterday and found it inspirational. Will keep you in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty incredible. It's so wonderful that there are people willing to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that truly is touching. I have a friend who asked me once if I'd be willing to be a surrogate mother for her. One, it shocked me that she asked, and Two, I had no idea if I could do that! It turns out she was able to have her own child, but it got me thinking about whether or not I could that. I think that maybe I could if the circumstances were right.

    Sara is amazing! Thank you for sharing this, and you know you're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone :) You're awesome! I didn't even hear a single snore either. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm rooting for you! Also I am looking for followers of my blog! Visit my blog at http://inkladendiary.blogspot.com/. I too am a writer so I am trying to get my voice heard. Please follow if you like!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a friend who is doing the exact same thing for her sister. What a totally self-less act. I pray that things work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My fingers are crossed for you.
    PS: love your Basso & Whitman quotes in your blog header. I'm a quote junkie myself...

    ReplyDelete