Monday, September 28, 2009

My Hero


I have to take a minute to brag about my 7-year-old. His name is William and as you can see, he's adorable. (And yes, he does have shorts on LOL, the team shirts were one size fits all)


On top of all that cuteness, he's the toughest little kid I know. He was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes a year and a half ago. He went from being slightly phobic of needles to having to take at least 4 shots a day overnight. Not even counting all the times we prick him to test his blood glucose levels.


He's handled it all like a champ. Now he volunteers for extra shots if he wants to have a snack or treat. He's learned to sense when he's high or low and knows what to do about it. Every year, he spends a few minutes with his school class the first week telling them about Diabetes and what it's like. He tests his blood sugar and shows them all how it's done. They're all very impressed.


On Saturday, we participated in Step Out for a Cure--the walk to raise money for Diabetes research. The picture above is from the finish line after the 2.5 mile walk. For the second year in a row, William's team has been in the top 5 fund-raising teams in the state. William alone raised $1400 this year.


I just wanted to take a minute and say how amazing he is. He's my hero.

21 comments:

  1. And a cute hero at that! Yay for Cameron (and his wonderful mother).

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's darn cute! And, yes, brave. You should be proud of him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a 7 year old girl and she would have a hard time. My 16 year old niece has diabetes and I know how hard it is for her so it's amazing to me he's handled it so well.

    He's very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. You can see why I had to brag a little! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a courageous little guy! Good for him for being such a trooper. And of course, you as a mommy have a lot to do with that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, I'm totally tearing up. That is so amazing how much he raised!

    Having had gestational diabetes twice, I have learned to appreciate so much those who have to live with it all the time. It was hard enough for two pregnancies; I couldn't imagine my whole life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm teary too. What a brave little guy. My kids get upset about flu shots. He sounds like a very tough kid and he's super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melissa, Natalie & Natalie - Thanks! I'm so proud of him and yes, he's very tough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jenn! I stalked you from Ray Veen's blog. >>


    Your son is gorgeous. My six year old son has a rare genetic syndrome, so I know too well the worrying and preparation involved. But I also know the joy! Yay for our tough, awesome little kids! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is sooo impressive. And man he is cute!! You have every right to be a proud mom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so cool, and I'm impressed you guys don't just take the disease and hide, but are actually participating in fundraising for it. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like he has a very supportive Mommy to be proud of, too. Rock on, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
  13. abrokenlaptop - thanks for stalking by ;) Yay for your courageous little boy too!

    Candi - Thanks :) He worked hard, he deserves praise and adoration. ;)

    Jessie - Yeah, we try to keep everything as normal as possible for him. He plays soccer, baseball, takes swimming lessons and he just started a Spanish Immersion program for gifted 2nd graders. He's definitely not hiding :)

    Ray - Thanks :) you rock on too ;)

    Shelley - You're sweet. I think I'll show him all your comments tomorrow. He'll love the attention. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what a brave kid! And that's so cool that he talks to his class like that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. that's awesome. Four shots a day? He's a super trooper. My dad has to watch his blood sugar & just pricking my finger makes me weak in the knees.

    Way to go on the walk & fundraising, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bless God! You know the bible says a little child shall lead them.

    He has set an example for us all. I was diagnosed with Diabetes 2. I was thinking the other day, no I was pouting the other day about not being able to eat sweets without a negative side effect and how much I hate diabetes. Your son's story puts my attitude to shame and makes me want to be more responsible regarding my own health.

    Thank you Cameron.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awww, that's so sweet! He's a cutie, Jenn! And he sounds fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. He is soooo adorable. I want to squeeze him. I'm pretty impressed by how far he walked too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like Cameron deserves a grand round of applause! Way to go, bud.

    ReplyDelete