Monday, February 8, 2010

Funny Inspiration

I've been thinking a lot lately about creativity and inspiration. Where does it come from? What are the best ways to channel it? How do you find it again when it's gone?

I'm sure you've all asked yourself the same thing from time to time.

The other day, my 5-year-old taught me a lesson in creativity. My two sons and I were playing a game on PS3 called Little Big Planet. It's awesome, you may have heard of it.

There is an online community where kids can create their own levels and upload them for others to play. We were checking out some of the levels from that section, when we stumbled upon one where the description was written in Japanese characters.

My younger son just barely turned 5, and is still pretty new to reading, so we were reading the descriptions to him. He asked what this one said and I told him I didn't know. It was in a different language that I couldn't read.

He stared at it for a minute before nodding and stating, "I can read it."

My older son and I both looked at him, wondering what he was talking about, but he didn't bat an eye or even smile. He just looked at us.

"You can, huh? What does it say?" I finally asked.

He looked back at the screen and said with gusto, "It says: Hello! My name is Indigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

We laughed until our sides hurt. It was the cutest, most unexpected thing I'd ever seen.

That was his creative side showing. Just being open to it seems to work for him. What works for you?

28 comments:

  1. What works for me? I'm not 100% sure yet, but I can tell you that I am enjoying the search to find out. Between blogging, revising, and new concepts, I am beginning to have the time of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats awesome.

    I guess I try to filter all the things that move me into a form that be typed up and put in front of others to enjoy.

    Sometimes that's easier said than done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome to have such a quick-witted kid! Hilarious! And a great movie, too!

    I seem to get inspired at any little thing - a song lyric, a painting, a phrase from a movie. I carry a notebook with me everywhere I go so I can always write down what pops into my head.
    KristinCreative

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cute!

    My inspiration? Sometimes a song, a turn of phrase, a snippet of conversation. All sorts of things spark my creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh such a good movie. What a cute story.
    I have too many creative ideas and not enough time to make them all make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG haha your 6yo and my husband have a lot in common... my husband LOVES to quote that line, hahaha.

    SO CUTE!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! You know I'm still dying to meet these kiddos of yours!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  8. My five year old always makes me laugh. She says things that just amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So funny! Children do have the best imaginations. I'm amazed at all the creative things my kids come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! I laughed aloud. That is so precious. There are few things I enjoy more than the "kidisms" that come out of our children's mouths. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that movie, as you already know and frankly I think kids are the biggest sources of for creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL...one night my husband woke up out of a dead sleep yelling "R.O.U.S.'s", looking quite terrified. Being the terrible wife that I am, I laughed until I cried :)

    As for me, inspiration usually comes from reading something else...a book about a place/house/time-period or watching something interesting on the History or Discovery channels. My last WIP idea came from visiting a museum exhibit. Good thing I write historical :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your five year old is already so full of awesomeness that I can barely stand it. LOL Plus... that is probably what it said. I'm just sayin....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, such a cute story! I love that movie and that line, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have an award for you at my blog today, Jenn. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jenn, I found your blog through another... always happy to find more aspiring writers out there! I loved your adorable story. My kids are 7 and 2 and they crack me up constantly. :) Glad to have found your blog & best of luck!

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness! That made me laugh out loud and I got a strange look from my husband in response. lol!

    Inspiration comes when you invite it in I think. It's not something that can be forced.

    I can already tell I'm going to love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That sounds like a cool game, and your son sounds so cute and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. See, I usually don't "LOL" on blogs because I really don't laugh out loud, and why say it if it's not true. But for this one, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's hilarious, and an amazing movie too ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cute story! That's one of my all time favorite movies. Your son has good taste.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, I love that movie! I could watch it over and over and never get tired of it. My middle daughter has a way of saying offhand things that crack me up, too:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Jenn, I giving you the Happy Award 'cause your blog makes me happy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pretty much exactly what inspired your son is what inspires me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm all over the place when it comes to inspiration, so I can't pinpoint it exactly. I do get a lot of ideas when I am listening to music while dancing randomly throughout the house, wreaking havoc on the furniture.

    ♥ The Princess Bride, also. So brill!

    ReplyDelete
  26. ROFL!! What a sweet moment. If we could only harness that innocent creativity, right?

    Hey, I love this and am quoting it on my Tagalong Tuesday post tomorrow on my blog. Thanks for sharing your wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete