Tuesday, March 9, 2010

So, I Found Out I'm Pretty Much a Navy Seal

Up until late last year, I could barely swim at all. The doggy paddle was the max end of my aquatic skill level. I'd never taken much of an interest in swimming because I have asthma and doing a classic freestyle is out of the question. My lungs just don't have the capacity to maintain my breathing in that way--no, I know what you're thinking, it isn't simply because I'm ridiculously uncoordinated.

No, that's not it.

Really.

Anyway, so a few months ago I decided to try swimming for exercise and see how that worked for me. I figured maybe I could make up a stroke I could do on my back or something.

Yes, I said "make up" because that is exactly how much I knew about swimming. The idea that someone else had already made up a stroke that could be done on your back...a back-stroke per se...never occurred to me.

While at the pool that day, I noticed someone doing a stroke on their side so I copied the motions and have been doing it ever since. I started out unable to do even a quarter mile at a time, now I do a mile a day six days a week.

And. I. Love. It.

So the other day, I decided to check out You Tube and see if they had any instructional videos on the side stroke--I thought it might be a good idea to see if I was doing it correctly. Imagine my surprise when I found out that the side-stroke, the stroke I've been doing for a year, is the official swim style of the Navy Seals.





Yep, that's what I do six days a week. Yes, I recognize that I might look more the part of the seal than the navy when I swim, but the point is...um...the point is--------that swimming with me could very well save your life.

At least that's what I got from it.

14 comments:

  1. So fun. I will have to remember to swim with you so you can save my life when my dog paddling fails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't swim freestyle either. Somehow I seem to go backwards whenever I try. I kid you not. I like side stroke too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool - I may have to try it. I have an ward for you at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not much of a swimmer. But if I ever decide to take it up, I'll do so with you, just in case I need someone to save my life and all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the side stroke. My kids go swimming every summer and the only way I can help the little ones and watch the big ones is doing the side stroke. Glad I'm not alone, loving that swim move!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it. I used to swim a lot. It really is my preferred way to exercise. I love backstroke and freestyle best. I need to get back into doing it more. Maybe joining a pool would help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love swimming. Sadly, I don't get to do it as much as I'd like but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You were ahead of the game! I am impressed:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband is half-fish. He loves the side-stroke! I didn't realize you loved to swim so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Water. Scary. Make it go away.

    I love the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's great. My husband never learned to swim. I'll have to direct him to YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your post made ma laugh right from the title page! Congratulations on the swimming and I'm sorry to hear that someone else already made up the back stroke before you. :) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I learned to swim with a broken arm (aged 9), this was the first stroke I ever did. I started doing it again last year, and it whittled away my waistline!
    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete