Monday, March 15, 2010

My Life as a Teenage Zombie

A couple of months ago I was messing around with this idea. It has blossomed a lot since then, but I wrote a few paragraphs from the main character's POV. She's a zombie and her name is Charity, at least for now. She hates it and keeps accusing me of "branding her for life".

I feel like zombies are an under-represented segment of the population and I'm all about ending that.

Anyway, when I wrote this section up, I got two responses.

"Eww, yucky."
and
"Haha! That's gross! I love it!"

I thought I needed to get a few more opinions, so read about Charity the teenage zombie and tell me what your impression is.

~~~

Being a zombie sucks rocks. I'm sure the whole feasting on human flesh thing wouldn't be so bad eventually--and man would I love to see those snobby cheerleaders run when they saw me coming. Talk about zombie vengeance at it's best. But Mom and Dad wouldn't let me anyway. It'd be breaking "the zombie rules" and what's worse than being a teenage zombie? Being a grounded teenage zombie, that's what. I'm pretty sure we can't pretend much longer though, I'm starting to give new meaning to the words: bad hair day.

I think the worst part is that my brain hasn't decayed yet. I still remember what it was like to be human. They have it so easy. No worrying about pieces of your nose falling off when you're talking to a hot guy. Not that I get to talk to them, that's another thing--the fear of hot guys screaming and running can really damage a girl's ego, not to mention her social life. Which brings up yet another human advantage--no death breath.

Even hanging out at the mall is no fun. I mean really, I have too much respect for beautiful shoes to put my squishy feet in them.

~~~

So there is a little bit of the girl who's been hanging out in my head lately. What do you think?

14 comments:

  1. Death breath!! I think you've just coined a new zombie phrase. I love it! I find myself hoping Charity can find a cure for her zombiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Your ideas always rock! And is one is fascinating-ly (is that a word?) hilarious! I LOVE IT!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candi - I know, isn't that a funny image. Poor Charity. It's all her family's fault, really.

    Jenni - Thanks! :) It's a really fun one. I'll need something a little lighter after I finish Insomnia, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe, did you know I wrote a teen zombie? Yeah...one for the vault.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natalie - lol, no. I knew you wrote one you referred to as "Zombies" but I didn't know it was from the pov of a zombie. Great minds think alike! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it seems funny and it has me curious about how the whole situation came about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can guarantee you that my high school girls would absolutely love Charity. The voice is awesome, Jenn. You nailed it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amber Lynae - It made me curious too, lol. I think I've finally figured it out. :)

    Shannon - Thank you so, so much! Her voice came into my mind fully formed, so I'm happy to know you think I hit my target.

    Stephanie - Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowza! I think you might be onto something gross and highly entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think Charity's story rocks!!!! This is a lot of fun, I wanted to read more, and I love her teenage personality, so over the whole zombie thing unless it has benefits, which the 'rents totally rid her of! SO UNCOOL!! I could just see her saying it!

    Definitely something in the works here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a funny idea. You actually had me sympathizing with a corpse. I'd love to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love writing that is poking fun at something, in this case, zombies. This was kind of telling, but I'd love to read some of those as actual scenes with her voice narrating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Run and play with Charity!! Sounds great fun.

    ReplyDelete