Friday, April 16, 2010

Thoughts on Earthquakes

Be forewarned, this post has nothing to do with writing. Today I'm kicking it retro and trying something educational. Bear with me.

Some of you may know I live in Utah and that we had a minor 4.9 earthquake yesterday. No, I didn't feel it and I'm really nowhere near where it happened, but let me tell you something about Utah. The mountains are gorgeous and most of the cities are built right against them. That means the majority of us live on or pretty darn close to a fault line.

I did some research last night because it feels like there have been an inordinate amount of natural disasters occuring lately. First all the earthquakes and now the Icelandic volcano. It made me wonder what was triggering all of it.

I figured out there are basically three groups of thought out there when it comes to the recent seismic activity.

1 - People (mostly scientists, but pfft...what do they know) who say there isn't an increase, we're just paying more attention now.

2 - People who believe it has some form of religious significance.

3 - People who think it is being caused by either spies or aliens--no, I'm not kidding.

Here is the only confirmed truth I found in my research. No matter what is causing it or whether it has, indeed, increased or not--it's never a bad idea to be prepared.

So, take a few minutes and check out this website on earthquake preparedness. I had a talk with my kids about it this morning, and I'm glad I did. Hopefully, we'll never need the tips we talked about, but if so--I feel better knowing the we all know what to do.

10 comments:

  1. So true Jenn! I live by a fault and am a little bit nervous about the whole mountain-falling-on-top-of-me thing. *cringe*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, Jenn! Thanks for the reminder. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep prep is everything...good thing to do. Good post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in Michigan: no earthquakes, floods, volcanoes, hurricanes, like three tornadoes a year, and no tsunamis.

    I think everyone should come here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in Utah, too. I felt the earthquake. I had just sat down at my computer and the room moved as though I was on a ship. I actually thought I was having a dizzy spell or something, but then a little while later news of the earthquake was on the news. I was so relieved, yet worried. It is quite amazing all the earthquakes and the volcano erupting. Maybe we are more aware, but come on...something is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is something we talk with our kids about a lot. And regardless of what's said, it sure seems to me that there are more earthquakes lately!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're all up on the hurricane preps here. Earthquakes? Not so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live in Oz, and we had an earthquake last night, measuring 3.8.

    So what is happening? It isn't even 2012 yet...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the info! It is all a bit unsettling, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing and I hope you are always safe. What a great decision to talk to your kids about it.

    ReplyDelete