Monday, April 26, 2010

What Happened to Horror, Anyway?

Since my WIP is, in fact, borderline horror--I've spent a lot of time lately wondering what happened to the horror genre as a whole. I mean, you don't see that section in bookstores anymore. I don't even think I've seen it in a movie store in a long time. So what's up? Where did it go?

The answer is...it didn't go away, it kind of dispersed. It was absorbed into a whole bucketload of other genres. I mean, I'm pretty sure my WIP would be classified as Dark Urban Paranormal right now, but horror has been absorbed into many other catagories - Dark Fantasy, Suspense/Thriller, Dark Sci-Fi.

It got me thinking. How many of you would consider there to be aspects of horror in your books? Do you have a light and fluffy mind, or are you (like me) all kinds of dark and twisty? If many of you are twisty like me, I think I'll do a post about what horror is really all about. We shall see.

12 comments:

  1. I'm a big chicken so I never go see horror movies or read horror books. I don't sleep much as it is, if I read that stuff I'd never get any rest.

    Interested to see what your definition is though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely dark and twisty. And morbid. Light and fluffy is fun to read or watch sometimes, but I've found that I can't write it very well. Someone has to get shot or stabbed and endure vast emotional damage... LOL! I love conflict more than I love fluffiness, I guess.

    My latest manuscript has a lot of horror elements in it... graphic violence and suspense and all that... but I consider it a "sci-fi/fantasy". Weird, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie - LOL Okay, okay. Consider it done. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spent almost a half hour talking about this with Dan Wells-right after you and I talked saturday afternoon and as things turned out saturday night(Whitneys)-I think we would agree that Horror is still there ready to jump out at you with dark abysmal arms and embrace the reader.

    It was my great pleasure to present Dan with the Best new novel award (tied to Riley Noehren=not horror)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, I'm for post about horror. I know nada about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I attended Bouchercon Mystery Writers Convention this past summer and expected to learn more about the mystery genre. What surprised me were all of the horror novels mixed into that category. It wasn't bad .. I just didn't expect it.

    interesting point here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I'm super dark. But maybe a little twisted.

    My newest WIP has some dark moments but I would never classify it as horror. It doesn't even come close.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha. I don't think horror would be looked upon too fondly in my PB's and chapter books. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dude! You know me. Dark and Twisty (yes, capitalized) to the core. TO THE CORE! (Gwa ha ha!) I can't wait for the horror post. You should definitely write it. Just for me. *steepled fingers*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to LOVE horror...it was all I read. But as I got older and saw more horror in real life, I began to crave the happy ending and turned back to romance.

    I can handle some darkness, but I still need the happy ending. Maybe I'm turning into a pansy in my old age...

    Still, I'd love to see the horror post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a light and fluffy side and a dark side. But hopefully, my voice can be seen through both. :)

    ReplyDelete