Monday, September 27, 2010

Mr. Monster Review

Tomorrow is the release day for "Mr. Monster", the sequel to "I Am Not a Serial Killer" by Dan Wells so I thought I'd take today and do a quick review for you guys.

If you haven't read the first book, "I Am Not a Serial Killer", then you should. It is fascinating and the character development is flawless.

The series is about John Wayne Cleaver, a teenage sociopath who has made rules for himself to avoid becoming a serial killer. I loved the first one so much that I couldn't wait for the second one. I bought the U.K. version at a writers conference I attended with Dan Wells in the spring. When he signed it he wrote, "Jenn, I apologize in advance for the cat. Dan Wells."

I was forewarned.

This was an incredibly difficult book (emotionally) for me to read. It explores darkness of both situation and character as John struggles with keeping his sociopathic tendencies in check and searches for a murderer at the same time.

Dan made me care about the characters so intensely that there were times I was afraid to turn the page and keep reading. John's conflicts are so real and devastating that it was painful. Dan writes John with such power that it is impossible not to empathize with this character even though I know for a fact that he would be incapable of empathizing with me.

This is the first book I've ever read that I considered putting down simply because I was afraid of where the main character was heading. I'm glad I didn't. If I hadn't felt such despair in the middle then the triumph at the end would have been feeble in comparison. On top of that, the ending managed to fulfill all promises I was hoping for as well as add a few more surprises that I didn't know I wanted.

I'm into dark books and this is one of the darkest, but I loved it and I plan to read it again.

As this is an official review, I feel I must give it stars--13 out of 13 and cat lovers beware.

10 comments:

  1. Well it certainly sounds like a good book especially with the Halloween season just around the corner...though that warning about the cats has me curious and wary all at once... O_o
    Thanks for sharing...and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GMR,
    Good, then I have done my job. I think the fact that I was so wary about it in advance made me expect something worse than it was. I can see where cat-lovers who aren't prepared for it might be bothered, but I understand why it was necessary to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the review. I loved the first one but I've been nervous about reading Mr. Monster. I'm glad to know that if I'm tempted to put it down that there will be a payoff to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a cat lover so I'd probably be okay with this book, although I'm not sure about main characters turning bad. I'm not sure I could handle that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the reviews. I love hearing about upcoming books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! 13 out of 13. That's awesome! I need to read that book. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dark indeed. Perfect for the fall season. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not big on dark books, but this sounds really intriguing. I like the premise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVED the first book, and am excited to read this one. Dan is an author who's inspired me a lot (I actually posted about him on my blog the other day too!). Thanks for this review, I can't wait to get Mr. Monster!

    ReplyDelete