Wednesday, October 13, 2010

10 Ways To Know Your WIP Is In Trouble

I woke up this morning to a very...interesting note that I decided was crucial enough to write down in the middle of the night. This morning, not so much.

I decided to have a little fun and include it in a list of 10 ways to know your WIP is in trouble. :) Enjoy!


1 - You wake up to a crucial note that reads as follows: IMPORTANT! Add suspense with tooth floss! (Yes, that's exactly what my note said this morning. No, I don't have a clue.)


2 - You keep getting your protagonist and antagonist mixed up


3 - Your love interest decides to run off with your villain because your hero is boring.


4 - You realize your MC and side kick have had the same conversation about five times.


5 - An entire section of your book is written from the POV of a character you could drop and literally no one would notice.


6 - You are going on 60K and can't seem to find a suitable place to end your first chapter.


7 - You'd rather read the phone book than work on your own.


8 - Your blog posts are infinitely more interesting than your plot.


9 - Even your Mom can't stand your MC.


10 - You can't edit out your -ly words because it would cut your word count in half.



Hehe, I don't know about you guys, but I've had at least half of these problems. No, I won't tell you which half. Have a great day!

22 comments:

  1. Ha ha! Funny! (And unfortunately, true.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny because it's true. Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All great red flags to a ms in trouble! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, I shouldn't laugh, since I've been guilty of a few of these. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Jenn! So funny. You had me laughing out loud because I've probably experienced half of these too! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! These are awesome! I'm bookmarking this. And tooth floss???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol, this is great! I'm really curious about the tooth floss. Let us know if you figure that one out;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list! Thanks for the laughs:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've so totally had a love interest take off with a villain before. *blushes* Oh, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL! Too funny, Jenn. I especially love #10, of course!

    And I know you loved The Maze Runner - and I still heart you sooooo much for my signed copy! *sigh...wipes fangirl drool from chin...again!*

    ReplyDelete
  11. So funny and true!! #3 is hilarious! Thanks for sharing!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha! I love it. Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! Thanks for the laugh. And I have done the exact same thing with writing weird notes in the middle of the night! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. #6 is a good one. You could probably have someone kill your MC with that tooth floss ... just saying!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL! Okay, that list is just awesome. And #6...so true. =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lol! I bet most every author has caught themselves in one of those snares. Except maybe the tooth floss. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Number 2 is really funny...lol! Its happens when I've had too much caffeine...

    ReplyDelete
  18. You could use #3. She runs off with the villain, he reforms, and the hero becomes the villain out of pride and humiliation.

    Marc Vun Kannon
    http://authorguy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love number 5. Just the thought that I look at a character and say...ummm do we really need you?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Number 4...the bane of my writing existence.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it Jenn. You had me laughing, and crying.... because the sad truth is my WIP has many issues some may or may not be contained with in your list. I will never tell.

    ReplyDelete