Wednesday, November 10, 2010

No Ordinary Family



Ah, November, why must you keep me so busy?

I've found a new love. We've only spent a few hours together, but I'm smitten. So smitten, in fact, that I make time to watch it on Hulu every week. For those of you who haven't had a chance to check out No Ordinary Family on abc, (for shame!) let me tell you what you're missing.

This is a family friendly show that starts with your typical family. Everyone is too busy, all drifting apart and no one is really happy...until they try to go on a family vacation, get in a plane crash in some remote rain forest, and end up with super powers.

Here is what makes it awesome. The super powers don't solve all their problems, in fact, they cause a whole bucketload of new ones. The main thing that the super powers give them is something in common with each other that they can't really tell anyone else. It brings the family closer and I love the dynamic. As they learn to use their powers, they learn to rely on each other in new ways.

It's witty, and interesting and as a YA writer, I'm pretty picky about the way teens are portrayed on TV. These teens are great. Very true to life, well acted and awesome.

Anyway, if you can't tell, I like it. Check it out and let me know what you think.

7 comments:

  1. Dang it! I missed it! It was on my list to watch this week. I'll be sure to catch it next time. I had a feeling it would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving this show as well. I love that minus the dad they are using their powers to so ordinary things. They aren't all rushing out trying to save the world like most tv/movie superheros they are using them to do the dishes faster, make it to parent teacher conference's, get into the cool parties, and join the football team. It causes me to wonder what I would do if I had super powers. Would I try to save the world, or just try to be a little bit better version of the person I already am?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen it. I'll have to check it out. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! Sounds intriguing. I'll have to check it out! (After Nov. of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this. It sounds fun! I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you posted this. I haven't heard of this show, but it sounds awesome! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, great. There goes another hour of writing time.... :)

    ReplyDelete