So, let's get started.
10 Things I've Learned About Character Development
1. No character, no matter how major or minor, is complete without a few flaws.
2. People are varied, characters should be too.
3. A stagnant character is a boring character.
4. If a character is sympathetic in spite of major flaws, the combination can be truly compelling.
5. Little details are every bit as important as big ones.
6. Villains are strongest when they are the hero of their own story.
7. Cardboard characters belong in the trash, fill them out or throw them away.
8. People have little things--sayings, movements, twitches--that are unique to them. Characters should too.
9. Don't be afraid to make your characters suffer. It's your job.
10. Worksheets of character details can be amazingly helpful in keeping track and staying true to the character you've created.
That's it! Hope you find it helpful. Another list to come on Monday. :)