Friday, December 17, 2010

10 Things I've Learned About Character Development

Today's Top 10 list is about character development because if you don't have compelling, real characters...you don't have anything.

So, let's get started.



10 Things I've Learned About Character Development

1. No character, no matter how major or minor, is complete without a few flaws.
2. People are varied, characters should be too.
3. A stagnant character is a boring character.
4. If a character is sympathetic in spite of major flaws, the combination can be truly compelling.
5. Little details are every bit as important as big ones.
6. Villains are strongest when they are the hero of their own story.
7. Cardboard characters belong in the trash, fill them out or throw them away.
8. People have little things--sayings, movements, twitches--that are unique to them. Characters should too.
9. Don't be afraid to make your characters suffer. It's your job.
10. Worksheets of character details can be amazingly helpful in keeping track and staying true to the character you've created.

That's it! Hope you find it helpful. Another list to come on Monday. :)

10 comments:

  1. Great list! I did two different posts this week of compelling characters- I feel like each time I sit down to write, I need to remind myself on all 1o points! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list. Have a great Christmas. See you in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love this!! Great post, Jenn! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I love reading these. Can't wait for the next one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this list! These are all excellent character development tips. I especially love #10. Character sheets have helped me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, yep--love all of these!

    Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great list. I'm never afraid to make my character suffer. (Mwahahahha).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like number nine on your list, it opens doors. ;o

    Great list with useful tips, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with this list. You brought up some great key points :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with EVERY item on this list. Especially number 1. =D

    ReplyDelete