Wednesday, December 15, 2010

10 Things I've Learned About Starting

Okay! On to list number two. Let's start at the very beginning. It seems a very good place to start. :)







Top 10 Things I've Learned About Starting

1. There is no wrong place to start
2. Most of the time, the first scene you write, won't end up being the first scene in the book.
3. Every writer has their own method to prepare. Find yours and get to work.
4. Don't stop and rework the beginning, come back to it later.
5. If you do stop, you're likely to get stuck in the dreaded first chapter rut. Move past it and skip ahead. Allow your story to gather some momentum.
6. On a first draft, no momentum is bad momentum.
7. Most problems can be fixed with revisions.
8. Set a writing schedule and stick to it.
9. Motivators (chocolate, positive feedback, your fave t.v. shows, etc.) are there for a reason. Use them to keep you going.
10. Beginnings can suck, but if you keep going you'll eventually hit your stride.

As a person who truly struggles with beginnings, you may notice a theme here... just do it. Starting a new project tomorrow, or next week, or next year won't make it any easier.

Friday's list will be on character development. Stop on by.

6 comments:

  1. What a great reminder that all we have to do is just keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not doing so well with the stick to a schedule thing. Need to work on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty good at first chapters. For me, the struggle comes with the second one.
    But I'm getting better at that too. I treat each chapter like a mini book. Start off with a hook, end the chapter with something to entice the reader to turn the page and keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took me a while to get that first one. I used to be worried, worried, worried about starting and it is hard to ignore a bad beginning but it's awesome when you just get into the groove.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all great advice. I particularly love #4 and #7, so true! We shouldn't get caught up trying to fix it all before the book is done. Too many writers do that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For my book I actually started at the end and then proceeded to write the beginning and filled it in. The plot worked best to start at the end. Plus, my inspiration for the story sort of was the end of the book. I wrote that and then the rest flowed. About twice I had a bought with writer's block, but I just kept on writing. It sort of sucked in the first edit cause I had to rewrite stuff, but all in all it worked.

    ReplyDelete