Monday, December 13, 2010

10 Things I've Learned About Writing

It's mid-December now, which means I'm closing in on the 2 year mark for this blog. *cue streamers, confetti and mariachi band*

In honor of this occasion, I'm doing a few top ten lists of things I've learned in the last two years. Today, we're starting with the basics of writing. So, here it is, today's top ten list.

10 Things I've Learned About Writing

1. Commas are not willy-nilly objects.
2. There is a correct time and place for a semi-colon...whether I like it or not.
3. A little well-balanced white space is a beautiful thing.
4. Starting with the MC waking up is not a new and original concept.
5. Four words to live by: Arrive Late/Leave Early
6. Main characters should not be boring, whiny or ridiculous.
7. Readers are smart, don't underestimate them.
8. If one of your viewpoint characters is so minor they're more background than anything else--you may have a problem.
9. Just because half the world thinks writing about vampires and werewolves is a fantastic idea, it doesn't mean you have to.
10. Write what interests you and you can make it interesting. If you aren't intrigued by an idea, your audience won't be either.

More Top 10 Lists to come, stay tuned. :)

12 comments:

  1. That's a great list. I love number 5. Took me a while to learn that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great top ten--I especially like #5, but #9 is note worthy too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are fantastic! I especially love #10, so true and something more writers need to take to heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great list. I'll look forward to the rest of your top ten lists.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An excellent list with many things I have learned also. Alas, I'm still trying to learn the commas thing. I put them in. I take them out. =P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome list! And congrats on your two-year anniversary - or blogoversary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nope--I don't buy #2. How could semicolons ever be useful? :)

    (No, really. What are they for? Now you've got me thinking I'm ignoring them unfairly....)

    ReplyDelete
  8. #10 is crucial to writing a book. Seriously. If you don't like what you're writing then why write at all. I once heard some good advice, write what you enjoy reading. That will make all the difference. Can't wait for more Top Ten lists. Congrats on your blog' two year mark. Right now, I am throwing confetti!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your list, especially the "don't underestimate readers" one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are GREAT!!!! I love #5. So so true! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Phew, thank god I'm a natural at number 5. Although no one in my family looks at this as a good habit. Still learning number one and 2. My editing friend asked me if I thought commas were pretty and then threatened to gouge out my ; key with a screwdriver. I hide the lap-top when he comes over. Looking forward to the rest of the list and Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice list. I'm heartbroken that commas are not willy nilly objects. I was so sure...

    ReplyDelete