Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Ready For The Run


I spent last weekend in Las Vegas. My little sister participated in the Las Vegas 1/2 marathon. It was incredible. They closed down the strip and there were nearly 30,000 runners.

Some of them looked determined, ready for the long haul. Others were talking to themselves, trying to remember it would be worth it, trying to just limp through the last 1/4 mile.

It really struck me how much the road to publishing is like a marathon. For a very few writers, it's a short 5K and everything seems to fall into place. For others, it's 13.1 miles for the half marathon and they feel like giving up more than once. For even more, it's the 26.2 mile full marathon. They feel like they can't handle it. They'll never get there. At times, it might even feel like deciding to try for that finish line was the worst decision they've ever made.

But you should see the look of triumph on their faces when they cross that finish line, and they realize that every step was worth it.

I can't wait to get there. Can you?

7 comments:

  1. That's a great comparison. The road to publishing is a marathon. I think a lot of people don't make it because they drop out of the race. I'm in it for the long haul because you're right, it is so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My road to publication was a marathon - but oh, the look of triumph on my face now - the second novel in my middle grade mystery series was just published. Congrats to your sis - that's quite an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this because I once heard the line "publishing is a marathon, not a lottery" and really related to that.

    It is an endurance sport and one persons success does not eliminate another persons opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great analogy. Sometimes I feel like every book is a marathon. Just to get through it feels like crossing the finish line, but then you have to start again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone. Great point, Tess. People kept asking my sister if she was the "winner." Her response was, "I'm a winner because I finished." :)

    Perfect response.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This, of course, is why so few would-be-published authors never get published: they don't ever finish!

    Great analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like I'm in the 26.2 category. I can't wait to get to the finish line though, but once I get there, it will be back to the starting line to work on the next project. I wish that wish writing I was getting physical exercise at the same time. That would be so awesome. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete