Friday, January 14, 2011

10 Things I've Learned About Perseverance

As an aspiring author, there are so many things beyond our control. I dedicate this post to everyone who keeps trying anyway.








10 Things I've Learned About Perseverance

1. Nothing about this job is easy.

2. The rejections always come before the requests.

3. Each book will be better than the last.

4. Dreams are worth reaching for, even if you pull a few muscles along the way.

5. Sometimes the perfect agent is the 7th query, the 20th query, or the 80th query... but it is almost never the 1st.

6. It's always too early to quit.

7. Taking a break is not the same as quitting.

8. Everyone has a different timeline for their success. Judging your timeline against that of others helps no one.

9. Ability to learn is worth more than natural talent every day of the week.

10. It only takes one yes.

Have a wonderful weekend, and keep trying.

14 comments:

  1. You should be a writer for the Letterman show, because your top 10's are brilliant!! Love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this list. I'm at a Writers Conference, and the reinforcement of what they are telling us is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It only takes one - I think that's the hope that keeps us all going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a perfect list! I love "It's always too early to quit." I think I'll make it my new mantra.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this list. I also love the red boot you are sporting. :) I hope you are recovering well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I especially liked 8,9, and 10. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome list. I can't even pick my favorite. Good reminders, though: forward motion in the face of all odds is SO HARD!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems like writers are forever on a roller-coaster of highs and lows. This list is great to read during those pit days. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant. I've got to copy these and paste them where I can see them every day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So true! - and sometimes consider that what you thought you wanted sometimes morphs - the direction of your career in writing (or art or music or whatever) could change and not pan out just exactly as you dreamed, but no less wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What if the break you take is really long?

    I love your lists, btw. =]

    ReplyDelete