Friday, January 28, 2011

The Creation of Conflict

A good conflict is a crucial part of any hook, but it doesn't stop there. There are a hundred different kinds of conflict and a scene without any is inevitably boring. You can see conflict in everyone around you. People would have little motivation without it, and understanding the conflicts of those around us helps us understand why they do the things they do.

My favorite kind of conflict to write is internal conflict. Putting my MC at odds with themselves is one of my favorite pastimes. I also like battle conflicts. Big fighting scenes with loads of conflict, those are fun.

What are your favorite kinds of conflicts to write? Is there any particular type of conflict that you can't imagine writing a book without?

12 comments:

  1. I love writing both! I find that I'm a little more at ease writing internal conflict scenes though. The external ones take me more time because I want to get them just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gotta have both for depth. Conflict is the bread and butter of writing. I'm working at getting better and showing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the conflict that happens between people/characters who know each other too well...when the smallest thing is an indicator of annoyance. I think these can be some of the most interesting/funniest things to write and read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love writing about internal conflicts, too! But I think I enjoy more writing a conflict with dialogue--like try to make it subtle, but there's a lot of tension underneath the words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo, I've been reading a book about crafting scenes and I'm on the section dealing with conflict. It's been so interesting and eye opening. I've always been a sucker for external conflict, especially where the protagonist is faced with things way over his/her head. I wouldn't want a story that was just internal conflict *coughbellaangstcough*.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the conflict of wanting something you can't have. That's some good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love conflict. I have to be careful not to put so much of it into my book that I overwhelm or bore the reader. What I don't love as much is resolving the conflict. AKA endings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the emotional conflicts that arise in a new relationship... where there is all that angsty "Is he interested in me in that way?" type of thing. I think that's why I like to write YA so much. Sometimes books carry that a little too far, of course, and then it's my least favorite kind of conflict... but anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Internal conflict. Totally my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Conflict is such a juicy part of a book. You have to have it in there or you lose the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  11. self-conflict/inner conflict is totally my favorite, too! See? You're totally my evil-twin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think inner conflict is my preference...since I write YA/Middle Grade, that conflict is often insecurity-related.

    ReplyDelete