Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Top 10 Things I've Learned About Ideas












Top 10 Things I've Learned About Ideas

1. There is always a better idea.

2. The best idea in the world will only get your foot in the door.

3. Truly unique ideas are rare to nonexistent, but good ideas are plentiful.

4. Execution can turn a fairly mundane idea into a great story, but it doesn't work the other way around.

5. There is no idea that everyone will love.

6. Ten people can have the same idea and come up with radically different stories.

7. The wrong character can ruin a great idea. Make your characters and your ideas fit together.

8. Brainstorming is a necessary part of the creative process.

9. The first twist to an idea is usually the most obvious one.

10. Taking an idea and pushing it farther than other writers might can turn a good idea into a great one.

That's it for today. There will be one more Top 10 list on Friday. Until then, how do you come up with your best ideas?

9 comments:

  1. Those are all great, especially number 4 and 6.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Number four is pretty much the bane of my existence right now, thanks for reminding me. ;)

    But I love number nine! That's the kind of writing I like to read, and strive to write myself.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great "ideas"! I get a lot of my ideas from watching people around me. People are so interesting! And then you can flourish the idea into a story:) I also get ideas from news stories. Not the tragic ones, but the remarkable. And then there's all the crazy ideas rolling around in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list. Brainstorming is usually what I need to get the so-so ideas turned into something great. You are so right that a great idea cannot save terrible writing, but great writing can pump up a mediocre idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! One of my CPs found out her WiP is very similar to a book that was published this year. She was ready to shelve it. Anyway, it took a while to convince her that the way she tells the story will be unique and make the idea completely different from the other book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true. I think I need more brainstorming in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list. You nailed it. Sometimes I have to remember that searching for THE idea isn't going to get me nearly as far as polishing the ideas I already have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This list is made of win. Seriously! All excellent points that everyone should know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jenn!

    Seriously awesome list - and so true! Fun to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete