Friday, May 27, 2011

Is That Really Me? (Editing Tip)

I've been keeping busy with revisions for awhile and one of the things my agent suggested for me was so cool that I have to share it. She said to take a character from the last scene of your book (this should work with any character) and plop them into the first scene in your book and see how they would handle things differently now. This is a great way to see if your character has changed and grown and not remained stagnant. You can just imagine it, or go all hog-wild and actually re-write the scene with the character as he finished the book. It's incredible to see the differences and realize all the things you did right.

Check it out! :) Oh and also, have a great weekend!

16 comments:

  1. That's a great tip, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a wonderful tip! I think I've done something similar, but I like how you describe it here. My goal, usually, is to show change by the end, but sometimes it's pretty subtle. Just depends on the story I'm telling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea!

    Man, my MC grows so much over the course of the book, that would be so interesting to write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great tip! I want my main character to be consistent, but to show growth/arc. I think this also helps smooth the first chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard this tip before, and I love it! It's such a great way to check your character arc. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun idea. I knew exactly what my mc would do, and it fits. Woot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds fun! I'm going to have to try it! :)
    katieonfiction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome, Jenn! I'm going to have to try this... I've never even thought about doing this before. Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm kinda scared of this exercise.... Guess that means I should do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tip! I hate it when I read a book and the main character never changes. And it would be worse to find such an oversight in my own novel. ;/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh! I never thought of something like that before. See? This is why your agent is so brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun and useful idea! I tried it out in my head (because I'm in the middle of revisions right now!) and I'm pleased to report that my character passes the test! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just popped over from Kristin Lynn Tethford's site--what a great tip! I'm using this one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just popped over from Kristin Lynn Tethford's site--what a great tip! I'm using this one!

    ReplyDelete