Monday, June 27, 2011

Finding Your Strengths

This weekend I've been reading the WIP of a close friend and she's amazing. I'm blown away by her genius and her ability to weave everything together into this poignant moment of just... wow.

She's incredible, and it has started me thinking. Do other people read my books and feel this way? I really hope so. I strive to be that way, to drag my reader along with me and keep them reading. I think in some ways I achieve it and others I still have a lot to learn.

We all have our strengths. For some it could be scenery, description and setting. Others it could be dialog and character development. For me, I'm really good with building tense scenes and pacing. I also write solid male characters--don't ask me why, I've pondered this a lot and I'm still not sure I get it. Apparently, men interest me. Who knew?

This guy for example... I find him VERY interesting.

Ahem... anyway. What do you consider to be your strengths? Let's start this week off with a bang. Brag about your skills. I give you permission. Nay, I demand it! Brag like you've never bragged before, and then tell us what you want to work on. We're in this together.

As for me, I want to work on using setting to reflect and amplify the emotions of a scene. Also, I feel like my writing could benefit from studying Bradley Cooper a little more. How about you?

12 comments:

  1. Uh... I LOVE Bradley Cooper. Ever since he was on Alias. Love him.
    I'm not really sure what my strengths are. I do know people like my dialogue, so maybe that's it. I haven't figured it out yet. I know I have a hard time with setting at times. That's probably the biggest thing I need to work on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I don't think I've actually stopped to ponder the GOOD things about my writing. I always whine or agonize about the bad. So thanks for this post! Let's see... good stuff... Well, I think I'm rather good at bringing characters to life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only written one book so far. I'm still trying to suss out what my strengths are. I look forward to figuring it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strengths. I sometimes get emotions okay. Definitely not description.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think my strength is world-building, and making sure all the parts work together and don't contradict. My weakness is conveying all the rules to the reader. :) Also, description in general.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post to get us thinking of something we are good at...I know that I always tend to focus on the things that I'm not! Umm...strengths in writing...if I had to say something (well, you are demanding, are you not?), is writing out a tense scene. However, I can only really apply this to my current WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bradley Cooper is such a hottie. *ahem* I think my strength is in my dialogue and pacing. I pace the story just so the reader will want to keep on reading. Great Post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL- I would add a strength to your list Jenn, you're quite humorous. I'm not confident yet on what I would say is my strength, but if I had to hazard a guess, it would be that I create a good villain. Shar

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also find Bradley Cooper very "interesting" (is that the word people are using nowadays? ;)

    I'd say one of my strengths is creating an authentic voice. One of my weaknesses is tense consistency.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My strengths are definitely plotting and dialogue. I chalk plotting up to studying screenwriting in college, which is all about rigid structure. And my dialogue skills were gleaned from watching lots of sitcoms as a kid. And is it just me, or does Bradley Cooper seem like the American Hugh Grant?

    ReplyDelete