Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Writing Relationships

Blogger hates me today. We're in a fight, if you will. I was trying to put in this great picture of a couple arguing at the top of this post, but it flat-out refused. Not only will it not add it in, it won't even give me any kind of explanation as to why.

I just want to understand, but apparently that's asking too much. It's always like this. I bend over backward trying to keep everything updated, trying to make it work between us, to support Blogger and his bloggy content...but it doesn't even matter. He only participates when he wants to and it's like he doesn't even talk to me anymore...

Oh, wait...he's never talked to me--I promise. And if my therapist asks you, please tell her I said that?

Anyway, I had this great post in mind all about writing relationships and now he's gone and ruined it. The main point I wanted to make is that these characters should be real and breathing and ready to walk off the page. Too many romances in YA seem to get together and then act like a married couple. They're still young. They make mistakes, they argue, they hurt each other. Make their relationship as complex as the characters, and the reader will be as invested as you need them to be.

9 comments:

  1. I love the complex relationships. When they get together and everything is fine, there isn't as much tension and chemistry. I love complicating things. I'm actually doing that right now in my WIP. LOVE it. I love sabotaging "perfect" relationships! Bwah ha ha ha! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fickle blogger. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

    I remember those teen years where you were totally infatuated for about a week, sometimes longer, and then you would start to see how annoying they could be and you would fight over who should call who and stupid stuff like that and you try and figure out how relationships work and if they're worth it. That's the real stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogger is having problems today. I copied a picture and just pasted it in and it went. Couldn't get it in any other way.

    But you're right about the relationship stuff. Even married people can't figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great point. Teen relationships are high on drama and jealousy and emotions. We must not forget!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mean Blogger has been cheating on me this entire time!!! I am SO over him . . . I mean it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh...I know a character like that. His initials might start with a C and end with an AM. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about your Blogger woes! And yes, good point about needing realistically complex relationships (not just complicated characters) to satisfy the reader.

    ReplyDelete