Friday, June 24, 2011

You People Crack Me Up

This week I stumbled on some seriously hilarious stuff that I had to share with you. After all, it's Friday and I think going into the weekend with a good chuckle is never a bad thing.

So, up first we have A Publishing Industry Glossary that really gets into the nitty-gritty of what makes our industry tick... or tock, as the case may be.

A couple of my favorites were:

Book: a rectangular device for immortalizing the person whose name is inscribed on it. Not to be confused with "headstone."
&
Draft: A manuscript with still enough holes in it to let the wind blow through.

Haha... how appropriate.

Second, we have this hilarious post by Jen Campbell on Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops.


One of my faves here was: 
--

Customer: Do you bother to arrange your books at all, or are they just plonked places?
Me: They're in alphabetical order...
Customer: Oh.
--
Just. Awesome.

And, last but not least. We have some rather threatening letters from children when the mayor considered cutting their library's bugget...er, budget. 

All I can say is that I don't want to meet these 6-year-olds in a dark alley.

That's it. What funny things have you found on the internet this week? Anything to make us all giggle? :)

7 comments:

  1. Wow. Working with a city council and mayor, I never realized that kind of threatening attitude started so early! O_o

    Funny though. Funny that it's funny when kids do it but not when adults do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great! Thanks for the smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, the letters to the mayor are utterly fantastic!

    <3 Gina Blechman

    ReplyDelete
  4. While not from the internet, the following typo in reference to a serial killer made me giggle:

    "He began to imagine he was a child of satin."

    Who knew that the murderous were so....cloth-oriented?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny!!

    Thanks for sharing ;)

    I love those letters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The letters to the mayor crack me up. "OR ELSE!" Ha! Ha! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wohoo! I love the kids' letters to the Mayor. I wonder who put them up to it? A teacher or parent? Or maybe the library had the cards out during storytime . . . =)

    ReplyDelete