Friday, July 29, 2011

I'm Getting Published in Germany! + What's a Literary Scout Anyway?


Yes, you read that right. Heyne Flieght in Germany is going to publish INSOMNIA. No, really! Not even kidding. Here, let me show you the upcoming Publisher's Weekly announcement so you will believe me:


"Germany rights to INSOMNIA by J.R. Johansson, a debut YA supernatural/psychological thriller, about a teen boy who thought spending every night trapped in other people's dreams was bad, but discovers that losing control of his own body and mind is so much worse, sold to Heyne Flieght in a TWO-BOOK deal at auction by Agence Hoffman, on behalf of Taryn Fagerness Agency and Kathleen Rushall of Marsal Lyon Literary Agency."


See?! Isn't that crazy! I mean, seriously...how awesome is that announcement? I think it's pretty much the most wonderful thing I've read anywhere, like better than HUNGER GAMES and HARRY POTTER. And my love for HG and HP pretty much borders on obsession.


So, the funny thing is that this isn't even the craziest part. The really crazy part is how all of this came about. Basically, my agent and I went on submission and within a week or so we got an e-mail from a literary scout that had gotten her "sticky scout fingers" on INSOMNIA, read it on vacation, and loved it. She said all these wonderful things about it and then said she would be sending her clients a "glowing e-mail" first thing in the morning.


Now, I don't know about you guys, but I had no idea whatsoever what a literary scout does. I've read pretty much everything on the internet about agents and editors, and literally nothing about scouts. So, when I got this e-mail, my first thought was, "Well, thank you very much for your kind words and also, where the heck did you get my book?" Second was, "Clients? What clients?"


As it turns out, VERY cool ones.


When I find something about publishing that I don't know, the first thing I do is Google it, and that's what I did. Unfortunately, and probably according to their own devious plans, there is very little out there about literary scouts. I did, however, find one very informative article that outlines what scouts do and why we should all love them very much. 


And I do, a lot, *smooches*


Basically, literary scouts get their "sticky fingers" on manuscripts that are on submission or have been recently bought by US publishers. They read them, and if they like them, they tell all their "clients" (mostly foreign publishers, but also some film industry bigwigs) about them and tell them to move quickly. <--This is a very good thing.


We got the scout e-mail and my own team of superheroes, Kathleen Rushall and Taryn Fagerness, got right to work--got in touch with the right people, sent my manuscript out to those that needed to see it, got stuff done. They, clearly, knew what it meant. I Googled...yep, that's it. Just Googled. THIS is why we need agents, people! I love my agents.


Within a matter of days of receiving this amazing, lovely, fantastic scout's e-mail, we were at auction in Germany. A foreign country. Where we had submitted literally nothing up until the scout got a hold of my manuscript. 


It was sheer, awesome, madness. Germany moved incredibly quick and there was much excitement throughout the land...or my house...but whatever. So, yeah, this is the very cool nature of the literary scout. May I suggest you read that article and educate yourself. They are like the Batman of publishing. 


And also, YAY I'M GETTING PUBLISHED AND I'M SO SO HAPPY!!! You should totally go and check out my new publisher's website, because while, yes, it is in German, it is also GORGEOUS. Go and see!

44 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! This is such exciting news and so cool! I'm so happy for you!

    My brother just moved to Germany for a year, but I don't think he'll still be there when your book comes out or I'd totally make him get a copy.

    YAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So awesome! Congrats on your fantastic news!

    Literary scout? I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jenilyn! Too bad your brother will probably be back by then. Maybe he can give you some tips about local customs and etiquette to pass on. ;)

    Thank you, Ruth! And I know, right? It was a total mystery to me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so exciting, Jenn! I'd never heard of literary scouts either, but I'm so glad they found you. Good luck and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ich leibe Deutschland! Congratulations Jenni! That is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Congrats!! That's so exciting and wonderful! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That is so freaking awesome!! Just think of the cool book tours you'll do!

    So will it be translated into German for its first print run? Will you be editing in English? Do you, by chance, speak/write German? Will it be published in English in Germany? Are you still trying to sell US rights?

    More details!!

    Yay Jenn!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Carrie and Katie! :) I'm sure you can't tell from my post, but I'm so happy!

    Robin, thank you! I can't wait! It will be printed in German in Germany. I will be editing in English. I do not speak or write German, but I'd love to learn. And yes, we really only just started submission in the US. Germany just jumped in and moved like lightning. Things are moving forward here too, but I can't talk much about that stuff yet. :x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats, that's amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Ru & Dorothy! You guys are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How so COMPLETELY cool for you!!! Not to mention you are going to get to have some awesome adventures to Germany. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Melissa and Deana! Hooray for adventures in Germany! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes! That is super-awesome news. Way to go! That's so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOOT!!!! I am soooo happy for you! And for Germany!! (I feel like I'm writing a note in a wedding card....and may you have many happy years together.) :) Smart people, those Germans. I'm glad they saw brilliance when they read it. Can't wait to buy it (and not read it, because I don't read German) and put it on my bookshelf. :) LOVE YA!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Angie - Thanks! I know, huh? Hooray!

    Kasie - Haha, may I say, you would be an excellent wedding card writer...actually, I take that back. Your writing is too funny, better stick to humorous. ;-) My book will be lovely on your bookshelf! Right next to yours! :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats!!!

    I actually have a few books in German (or auf Deutsch) from my German-language obsession days (not that I remember much). I can't wait to get my hands on yours. :)

    Wishing this to be the beginning of many great things in your writing career!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, Jenn--sooooo exciting! I'm thrilled to hear your great news! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats, Jenn! That's fabulous. Dan got his start in Germany, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Julie, Thanks! I can totally see how someone could become obsessed with all things German. ;-)

    Ruth - Thank you! It's so fun to have you guys to celebrate with!

    Donna - Thanks Donna! Yeah, I think we're both big fans of Europe in general at this point. It's a great place to start!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats, Jenn! That's awesome news ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Huge congratulations, Jenn! This is easily the coolest I-just-sold-my-first-book story I've ever heard:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome and congrats! you must be so excited. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations, Jenn!! So so so happy for you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. cherie, Laura, and Chantele - Thanks so much! This is so much fun to celebrate with all of you!

    Krista V - Haha! Yeah, it pretty much blew my mind, too. It has been a crazy ride, but I'm loving every minute of it so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. All I can say is:

    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Bethany - I KNOW, RIGHT?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'd never heard of a "scout" before. Very interesting.

    Congrats to you on the deal. That's super exciting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. How did I miss this post earlier???

    Well, you know how I feel about this, but I must WOOOOOOOO!!!!! for you in every one of the social medias. BECAUSE IT'S AWESOME. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. WOO HOOO!!!!! Congrats again, Jenn! SO SO happy for you! <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. CherylAnne - I know, isn't it fascinating? Thank you!

    Ren - who cares, you found it now! :-) thanks for always celebrating with me! You're an awesome friend!

    Kristin - thank you!!! I'm so so excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations! You deserve ALL of this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm so proud to be part German!!!! :)
    So so happy for you. *big hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  33. Michelle - Thank you so much for all your support, last weekend and always! <3

    Karen - you're part German?! That's fabulous! Now I like you even more! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Holy crap, I've never even heard of a scout, but that's AWESOME! I think I want to meet one of those. =) *so noted*

    And for like the hundreth time, congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh Jenn, I'm so happy for you. I just started crying happy tears:) Congrats, congrats, congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Nichole - You most definitely do!

    Angie - Thank you so much! I'm so excited! Can't wait for you to go on submission!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Deutschland uber alles! Neues Grimm schwester, vielleicht?

    So my German is a little off. You'll figure it out. :-)

    Gutes gluck! (Good luck!)

    ReplyDelete
  38. So freakin' awesome. So so so.... infinity so... freakin awesome. I wish I could speak German and say something really cool right now!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is so completely AWESOME -- congrats! Very, very happy for you :D

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wyman - Haha, very nice German! And Yay! I'd love to be a new Grimm sister. ;-)

    Candi - Thank you! I'm so excited and happy and I love that I get to share it with you guys! :)

    Elana - Thanks lady! :)

    Tess - I really appreciate it! thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I can't believe I haven't commented on this post yet. What a shmuck I am!

    CONGRATULATIONS, JENN!!! I'M SO RIDICULOUSLY EXCITED FOR YOU! (And you know that's true because I just used all-caps and I hate all caps. So I'm really, really excited for you!!)

    ReplyDelete