Monday, August 29, 2011

How to WorldCon in Style

My amazing time at WorldCon took a week of recovery, and it will also require a week of blogging to really show how incredible it was. So, that's what I shall do.

Brace yourselves.

Tip #1 - the first thing you need at WorldCon is some uber cool roommates to share it with. I nailed that one, as you can see here.

Cool Roommates - CHECK!
Tip #2 - Packing appropriately...this I didn't do. And it was a sad day for all. How do I know I messed this up? A few clues: If you pack 5 pairs of shoes and only use the absolutely most comfortable ones -- Fail. If you show up at the hotel and the bell hop asks if you have a dead body in your bag -- Fail. If you start searching through your bag and all you can find are workout clothes and maternity pants (you know, in case you find a pants-less, pregnant woman) --EPIC Fail.

Tip #3 - Remember there are parties EVERY night, even the night before it starts and the night it ends. Do not miss these. If you miss things like your new friends dancing in the hotel fountain, you will regret it. Just trust me on this one.

Parties - where you hang out and talk books with cool new friends like these.

Tip #4 - If you have George R.R. Martin AND the throne from the HBO set of Game of Thrones in one room, the stars have aligned. Don't waste the opportunity.
The suspenders and the hat make the man, do they not? 

Tip #5 - The panels are interesting and roaming the halls and networking is very awesome, but the parties are nothing short of incredible. Whether you are partying it up with the Klingon's (watch out for the outline of the headless body on the floor), dancing to "Apple Bottom Jeans" with a room full of strangers, or chatting it up with the fantastic editors at Tor or Pyr. The parties are where it's at. There is no doubt about it.

Tip #6 - Stop by Wednesday for more tips and pictures, two words - Harry Potter & Corset. Don't miss it.

10 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a fabulous time. Can't wait to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous! I'm glad you had such an amazing time! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I'm glad you had such a blast, I can't wait until I can go someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ROTFLMAO! That body comment pretty much summed it up, I think. Well, and the maternity pants. That makes me cry with laughter.

    I vote we go shoe shopping in June this year so we're well prepared.

    Hugs to my roomies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow!! Sound like so much fun! That pic with you and G.R.R.M is SO COOL. Though, with that throne to sit on, and that beard, how much more awesome would it have been if he'd been dressed as Santa.

    Am I right or am I right?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like it was amazing! I so wish I could have gone. Thank you for the pictures though, they help me imagine that I did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I'm so jealous, it looks like you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds seriously so fun! All good pictures. All great people! *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful pictures. It looks like so much fun. And seeing GRRM with the iron throne, wow. You're so lucky. Thanks for sharing your experience so I can live it vicariously. Which I suppose is better than not experiencing it at all;-D

    ReplyDelete