Monday, August 1, 2011

Tales from Dork-dom

I have something to confess. I'm kind of a dork. I like to play video games and recently discovered my love for D&D. My skin and the sun are like oil and water. When combined, they make me look like an overcooked lobster. If I didn't wear contacts, my glasses would look like the bottoms of old glass Coke bottles. I can do math problems in my head that would make an accountant blush, and I have a love for all things Stargate that is, frankly, bordering on obsession.

Except Stargate Universe. We don't talk about Stargate Universe in my house...

Ever.

So, I don't know why it would surprise me that I've passed my beloved nerdiness along to my sons. But it did. My oldest son has picked up my knack for math but he pulls it off as more cute than dorky. (Disclaimer: do NOT accuse me of being biased, this is my blog, I'm allowed!)

The other day, my house peaked out on the nerd level. My older son was spinning my younger one on a chair in the office. He went faster and faster until my younger one yelled--

"Help! Too fast! I'm breaking a hole in space/time!"

Yeah, he's 6. It's official...my dorkiness is spreading.

How about you? Any nerdish tendencies you'd like to confess on this lovely Monday morning? I promise, we won't judge you too much...or at least we won't mock you until you cry. Or at least not out loud...okay, nevermind.

I promise nothing.

19 comments:

  1. Ha ha! Too fuuny! We are a bunch of dorks at my house, too. My dorkiness is more of things like talking in accents that I really can't pull off. Or doing a random jig. It's not pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a total dork as well. I like playing video games. Not that I admit it too much or have time to play that often. But it's true. :) I've never played D&D, but I have a feeling I'd like it.
    As for geekiness movies, I love Star Wars. The old ones. And Indiana Jones. And Ninja Turtles. Ha ha. True story. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure if you look up Dork in the dictionary there's a picture of me. Any time I say something funny my sister calls me that. Not only do I play D&D, I created a game where you can be a super hero. (We're off to Gencon this week to unveil it.) So, I'm not just a dork, I'm The Dork.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In high school I was kind of embarrassed that I felt more comfortable hanging out with the guys playing D&D than hanging out at the mall. But I've embraced my geek status. It's all about self-acceptance. And, I'm teaching my kids to embrace their own dorky ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, your son is too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! My kids speak like the English major I am, so I guess my nerdiness is spreading too. But that's the privilege of being parents, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, you guys are so funny! Thanks for sharing in my dorkiness!

    Katie - I've also been known to jig...and not well, I might add...

    Angie - I'm all about acceptance as well. And look at how much acceptance I've found right here in this comment thread. :P

    Linda - Thanks! I think so, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dude, I wear the Ring of Power from LoTR every day.

    Dorks Forever! *high fives*

    ReplyDelete
  9. As we speak, my kids are talking about their fear of falling into black holes when they go into space. So, uh, much as I'd like to deny the dorkiness around here, I don't think I can. Also, there was that Halloween where I dressed up as Vegeta from DragonBall Z, and there's the fact that I own a replica of Galdalf's sword and...I should probably stop the confession there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it, Jenn. And I love that you've passed it on. My sons are HP geeks and Star Trek nerds. What's not to love?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay,so I've been encouraging my nine yr old daughter to expand her vocab (bc that's what writers do, yes? And she has announced that she too shall be published one day). She comes home a few days ago and says, "Mom. Someone farted at school. It smelled very...organic." *Sigh* This is all my fault.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me and you are going to have to meet at the flag pole after the last bell because I freaking loved Stargate Universe! It broke my heart when they cancelled it for wrestling. So that's it. We're fighting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I'm part of the nerd-herd. Except for the math part. LOL.

    I'm a Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan through and through. I miss that show so much. Also, I love video games. I miss them too. I won't allow myself to play because once I start I can't stop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stargate Universe is a dirty word in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dork is my middle name. Okay not really, but I'm a video game girl too, and while I'm not big into star wars or anything like that, I may or may not have two level 85 World of Warcraft characters...I'm just sayin...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Candice, you seem like a nice lady. Do you really want to go there with Jenn? Because I'm gonna be bringing down a world of hurt.

    SGU rules!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dude, if my six-year-old said something like that, I'd congratulate myself on winning at parenting FOREVER.

    ReplyDelete
  18. haha, you guys are all awesome. I embrace my membership in the dork club. I'm happy to see I'm in such good company!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It delights me to no end when my doodles get their geek on. I feel like I'm a good parent when they do. =]

    ReplyDelete