Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Getting My Groove Back

I know some of you are miraculous master-minds of the multi-task. I am in some ways, but writing method isn't really one of them. It can switch back and forth from day to day as necessary, but my focus remains buried in whichever one I'm working on at the time. When I'm writing, I'm pretty focused on that. I'm very fast and thorough at revisions, but I need to eat, sleep and dream it. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but what it does mean is that after doing several months of revisions and editing, I'm adjusting back into writing again...and it takes a little time.

For the moment, I'm working a bit on a new project that is deliciously dark and twisty. I'm a big fan of that, by the way.

The dark and the twisty = totally my thing.


How do you immerse yourself in a new project? Are you a multi-tasker or more divided, like me?

***edit*** Stop by the Ladies Who Critique blog and see my guest post on my fave revision tips!

11 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, dark and twisty is definitely my thing too.

    I can multitask with most things. When it comes to writing I tend to be single minded. (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am divided like you and right now I'm having a very hard time focusing on my new project because querying takes up all my brain power!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a one-project-at-a-time writer. I don't think my brain is big enough to write more than one book at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm usually a one-project-at-a-time kinda girl, but I can work on other projects when I take a break from a current one. My brain can switch gears pretty well...just not every day.

    It was good to meet you, by the way! Thanks for dropping off Everneath. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do I hear the clip-clopping of creepy puppets in this new novel of yours?

    *snickers with glee*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pretty divided. I don't usually have a hard time switching unless I've been working on revising for a long time and switch back to writing, which is what I'm trying this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm all over the place until I really get on a roll with one project. Then I'm obsessed.

    I love that you're dark and twisty. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm. I can draft and do "light" revisions ~ as in early revisions which, for me, are usually stupid little things. But later, when the drafting is getting hot and heavy or the revisions are real deep, then yeah ... I need to focus.

    So glad you're getting your groove on, Jenn! And btw, I *love* dark and twisty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I work on more than one project at a time and sometimes spread myself way too thin. When I'm ready to finish a project, then it gets my full attention. Most of the time, I feel like a juggler, but one that will never get hired by the circus.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, you know how my methods are going right now. Nuff said. But it does make me crazy happy to hear about the D & T going on in the new WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for dark and twisty! I wish I could pull dark and twisty off in my own writing, but I would freak myself out too much I think! lol :)

    ReplyDelete