Monday, October 31, 2011

In Honor of Halloween--A Creepy Excerpt!

I'm a big fan of all things Creep-tastic. Thus, I love Halloween. So far this year, I've attended three Halloween parties--one as a pirate, one as a beverage, and one as a football player...like I said, I love Halloween. Also, I love today. It's a big day for me. Momentous even. Why? Because my lower right side of my lip is starting to move again!

HUZZAH!

For those of you who don't know, I've spent the last two weeks with the right half of my face paralyzed. It's a temporary thing called Bell's Palsy, but still pretty freaky. So, I'm VERY happy to see a little of my movement starting to return.

In honor of all this, I've decided to post the first page of a project that has been on my mind lately. It's extremely rough, but I love it in all it's creepiness. So, enjoy! And--

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The city surrounds me. Shiny rectangles so tall I can barely make out where they end and the sky begins. They wrap me in shadow. Hiding me. Holding me. I feel safe here, and I don’t remember the last time I felt safe anywhere. The sun sets against an unseen horizon, but I don’t head home. Why should I sleep in a city that doesn’t?
            The sounds and smells of this place are like a different world. It smells like people. The park around me fills the air, green and vibrant. I’m surrounded by millions of breaths taken at once—by life. The best thing the parents ever did for me was to die without giving me much trouble. Everything I’ve ever known is death and pain, being drenched in life feels good.
            Closing my eyes, I extend my arms and feel the warmth of the city flow around me, flow through me. No more pain. No more clawing fingers dying to break another bone, to raise another bruise on my pale skin. No more cruel eyes and words twisting my world. Now they are just dying—just dead.
And I don’t regret what I’ve done.

4 comments:

  1. Creepy! And very intriguing. Thanks for sharing!

    And I'm sorry about the Bell's Palsy-- that's probably rather freaky. I'm glad things are starting to go back to normal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for getting some feeling back! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this! Totally creepy!

    And what beverage did you go as? Very curious! :D Have an awesome Halloween!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, sucked me right in. Very cool and creepy.

    So glad to hear that you're doing better!

    ReplyDelete