Monday, October 24, 2011

Sometimes It Is Written On Your Face

This industry can be amazing when the roller coaster is in full swing. The highs are so high, the lows so low. In the past year, I've experienced both. My life outside of writing has been quite theme-park-ride-esque as well. While I certainly do my best to handle it all with patience and grace, sometimes I fail.

Sometimes, I'm just not that strong.

A week ago Sunday, I woke up with dry lips and tried to rub them together. I couldn't. It was a nearly impossible task. I'm prone to occasional random allergies, and assumed I had a fat lip because of it. When I looked in the mirror to check it out though, I realized that my lip was normal size, but the right side of my face was paralyzed.

Total panic ensued. It may or may not have involved weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth--I admit nothing. The only thing I knew that caused paralysis like this was a stroke, so I rushed to the E.R. and learned about something called Bell's Palsy. It is (thankfully) a temporary paralysis of one side of the face brought on by a special cocktail of illness (just getting over strep) and stress (Dad is home from the hospital now).

So while life has improved on both counts, my face somehow missed the memo. It's the most bizarre thing I've ever experienced. It's like the Universe has decided I cannot be trusted to recognize relaxation when I see it, so it has stamped it across one side of my head to make sure I have a good example for my reference.

Thanks, Universe...appreciate you.

So, as I've asked around, it appears many people are more educated about Bell's Palsy than I am. Do you know someone who had it? How long did it last? etc. Don't mind me. I'll just be chillin' in this hammock and trying my best to regain some symmetry in my life--and my countenance.

14 comments:

  1. You poor thing! My mom actually gets that all the time, but her's is due to heart medicine she has to take. Her spells last about 4 days, 3 being the fasted but never longer than 5.

    Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I'm so glad it's going to get better. I hope you get some good rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not fun at all. I know two people who have had it--a girl who got it during high school and stayed home for a semester waiting for it to pass. The other I think also was over it in a few months.

    Here's hoping your case passes really quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jenn, your life is never dull, is it? I have known some friends who had family with Bell's Palsy, but I don't remember much more about it than what you've already said. But I'll keep you in my prayers and hope it passes quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, my best friend had it. I think it took about a week before it showed some noticeable improvement, but a week after that it was much better. And now there is no sign of it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband had it a few years ago. Ironically, it was right after his mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer. It lasted around 3-4 weeks, and really frustrated him. But gradually, it did go away, and he hasn't had an issue with it since.

    Hopefully this really WILL be a five-star week (as horoscopes have predicted) and you will recover with super-speed. If not, I'll be over with more soup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a mild case of it once that luckily only lasted about a day and a half. I know of a professional baseball player who had it this summer for about a week. I hope yours goes quick. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, sorry! That sounds scary. I hope it gets better soon! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenn, I hope you're feeling better! I've been thinking about ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, Jenn, I'm sorry. Hang in there, lady.

    So glad to hear your dad is home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sister in law and uncle both had it and they are back to normal now. Still scarey though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leave it to you make something like this funny. But the idea that this was the universe giving you an example of what it means to totally relax just cracked me up!

    So sorry this happened though--I DO know how terrifying such a thing could be. I've been rushed to the hospital on fear of stroke before. Wasn't Bell's Palsy - I was having cluster headaches, a type of migraine that attacks and attacks over and over again. Anyway, I couldn't move, couldn't talk, so David had pick me and take me to the ER!

    Anyway, I've known children with Bell's Palsy and it HAS passed. Some quickly, some over years. Sorry :(

    Wish I knew more! ((hugs)) Hope you are all the way better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. One day, Jenn, about 25 REALLY AWESOME MIND-BLOWING things are going to happen to you all in a row to make up for all the crap you've put up with lately. It will. The Universe must pay for this. >:(

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete