Monday, November 14, 2011

Shiny New Projects

Don't you just love shiny new ideas? They're so pretty from a distance, kind of like a star. You think, "Wow, I'd love to play with that bright shiny thing." But also like a star, sometimes you get too close too fast, and then you start on fire or die from all the poisonous gases.

...No? Just me? Alrighty then.

Anyway, I'm just thinking about the adjustment phase that goes into switching from one character/book to another and how to really get myself into the new character's head. It usually takes me several chapters and most of the times I end up trashing the first part of any new book. This works, but isn't the most time-effective way to do it. So, I'm open to trying some new methods.

How about you? Any recommendations? Do you have any tricks you use?

5 comments:

  1. I do the same thing. I get about 3 chapters in I get into the rhythm. I have to toss the 3 chapters because the voice isn't quite right and start over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always write a prologue because I know I'll get rid of it! And sometimes I write in in a different character's head so I can get a good grip on someone who's not the mc. I'll also write an epilogue, which also always changes by the time I reach it, but it gives me a good sense of who I want the mc to become by the end of the story. Then I can start thinking about who he is before everything hits the fan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I write random scenes. Like you know the two or three scenes that you know will be in the book and you are looking forward to--maybe a fight scene, or something romantic, or whatever. I write those. Sure, they end up sucking because you are basically writing something that will go in the middle or end of a book with no character development, but it helps you get a feel for the people.

    The you can go back and start from the beginning. The best part is, when you finally get to the scenes you started with, you have stiff already written that you can work with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could try writing a short story or two in your characters's POV?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The way I've learned to address this issue and what works for me best is to do a character profile. This is especially helpful when your writing any scenes that character is in. Would he/she really say that? Experiences which show-not tell the character's personality traits, likes, dislikes, social skills, feelings, goals,the way they view the world, etc. Another tip I learned at a writing conference is to interview your characters. Hope this helps. Happy Writing!

    ReplyDelete