Monday, December 5, 2011

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

Every once in a while, I like to pretend that I'm one of those women with the gorgeous Christmas trees and beautifully lit yards, but I'm not. The reality is sadly more like a haphazard mishmash of Christmas ornaments and decorations that my kids turn into piles of Christmas debris. It looks somewhat like a Christmas volcano exploded...and not everyone got out alive.

But, there's still a certain beauty in the madness of it, and I wouldn't change that beauty for anything.

Sometimes I notice the same thing in my writing. The nice, organized plan I start with can become messy and muddied--even cluttered somewhere in the middle. That box of ornaments you forgot about is very much like the character you never planned on. But if you refuse to give it a chance, you'll never see how beautiful it can look on the tree.

I love the messy madness of my writing process. It may take a little clean-up afterward, but I wouldn't have it any other way. How about you? Is your writing process as neat & tidy as your Christmas decorating?

6 comments:

  1. My house looks great, but my garage is awful. All the empty boxes and hidden Christmas presents are in where my car should be. But I love the lights! We drove around the other night and looked at those early birds who have them up already. It was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my writing isn't nearly as tidy as Christmas tree decorating. But in the end, I hope it shines as prettily. ;)

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is something I needed to hear today! Nothing discourages me more than when the middle of my ms is a mess. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Christmas volcano!! And I love your books, so the whole muddle in the middle is totally working out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That photo is gorgeous!! Not that I would want that electricity bill, but still... Haha, on the volcano bit. Nice analogy to writing. Some things are shiny in pieces, but put them all together, and--watch out! A mess. ;o)

    That is SO cool that your book sold in Italy and Germany. Woo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's a great analogy to my writing, too. I try to plan, but things never go according to plan. Hehe. I'm convinced it's better that way.

    ReplyDelete