Monday, January 23, 2012

Short & Sweet or Long & Luxurious?

Most writers seem to fall into one of two distinct styles of drafting. First, is the short and sweet method. These writers tend to fall on the short end of beginning word counts and the first draft looks like something between a skeleton of the story and an extremely detailed outline. These writers spend most of their revisions fleshing out their story, plot, character and scenes. Putting some meat on the bones, so to speak.

Second, is what I call the long and luxurious method. These writers tend to fall on the high end of the word count range and spend most of the revisions cutting. They hone in on the unnecessary scenes, characters, description and trim it down to only that which is essential to the story.

I'm a short and sweet writer and I like it this way, but I'm pretty sure it's simply because this method is my comfort zone. I love adding new things during revisions and seeing my story brought to life in a whole new way. It's my favorite part.

What kind of writer are you? Which path do you take? What do you like most about your chosen method? Also, Happy Monday!!

8 comments:

  1. I'm definitely the long and luxurious writer! LOL! I just write and write and write and usually in revision I have to cut out unnecessary scenes and tighten up lengthy descriptive paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm short and sweet. I don't think I've ever had to cut words! Haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Short and sweet. I have to write about my characters in order to figure them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oddly enough, I think it depends on the story. My 1st manuscript required me cutting out 20,000 words in my revisions. With my latest one, I'll probably end up adding about 12,000 to what I started with. I guess that just proves there's no right or wrong way to do it.

    <3 Gina Blechman

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am definitely short and sweet. I love to get it done...fast! Plus getting the meat on is a lot of fun (mostly). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, let's see. My first draft was 120K, and I cut it down, eventually, to 97K. So I'm long and luxurious. :) Just can't seem to leave a scene half-told... so I double-tell it instead. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, that's odd. I'm extremely slow and still have to flesh stuff out at the end. I like my work short. Then again, it depends on the book. Sometimes it goes fast and I have a too much. Often, I just give up on figuring out how I write, lol. :)

    ReplyDelete