Thursday, March 1, 2012

Being Scared - Part 1

We all get scared sometimes. I've had a lot of scary things going on lately. That doesn't mean they're bad. Actually, I believe they are all very good and exciting things...but that doesn't mean they don't terrify me.

One thing that was both scary and exciting was participating in my first conference as a panelist. I spent the week before trying to convince myself that I actually do know things that people would be interested to hear. Then I spent the morning of the conference trying to remind myself how to breathe. I actually had to wear a scarf because I was so nervous I got hives all over my neck.

It was terrifying...but I loved it.

Now, I feel like I've crossed some kind of invisible velvet rope of knowledge. I really enjoyed being on the panels and chatting with other professionals about what I've learned. It's really quite fun and I still learned a lot, perhaps even more than before.

I would never have known that if I hadn't bitten the bullet and tried it out.

All of this got me thinking, this industry is frightening. And we do scary things. So, I'm devoting March to being scared, and doing it anyway.

9 comments:

  1. You did great! I was super impressed. :)

    I often tell myself: I can do hard things. (Even if I don't want to.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome. I'm always impressed with people when they do scary things. I'm trying to teach my children that life has a lot of scary/hard things and we have to be brave.

    I'm excited to see what the rest of the month has to hold. SCARY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a scary thing this week after I seriously contemplated turning the opportunity down. I took it instead and not only was a very happy with the result, I still can't believe I did it. Here's to tackling the scary things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all for it! "Do something every day that scares you" is a good motto. Even if that means attempting to jump on a trampoline after drinking too much tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm all for it! "Do something every day that scares you" is a good motto. Even if that means attempting to jump on a trampoline after drinking too much tea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for scary things! You did awesome on the panels by the way. You didn't seem nervous at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I an say is amen. And holy crap, what was I thinking when I agreed to teach a class at Storymakers? *shakes in fear*

    ReplyDelete
  8. You were so good too! (Although they should have let you talk more.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my published writer friends told me, if you aren't willing to be on a panel, you can't be a writer. Good job facing your fears and doing what needs to be done.

    ReplyDelete