Monday, March 5, 2012

Being Scared - Part 2

If you didn't see my post last week, I'll catch you up. I'm taking a few posts this month and dedicating them to the scary things that writers do. Today, I'm talking about leaps of faith.

What is it that turns someone who is thinking about writing a book (81% of people) into a person who has written a book? I found a statistic yesterday. Of every 100 people who start writing a book, only 3 actually finish it--only three.

I believe there are many moments when writers have to take leaps of faith. One is when they sit down and begin to write. Another is when they keep writing. And yet again, when they finish writing...and start writing something else.

These leaps require a belief in yourself and your abilities that is terrifying. No one starts out a perfect writer. I'm not even sure such a thing exists, so you must also believe you can get better, believe you can learn. You must believe that the time, effort, sweat and tears you are putting in will someday be worth it.

Whether you hope to become a NYT bestseller or just have something to pass on to your children, you still must take all of these leaps. No matter the end goal, we all start on the same path, with an idea and hope.

These kinds of dreams are scary, terrifying really. But I'm proud of us for dreaming them and for taking the leaps of faith necessary to head the right direction.

And I'm SO proud to say I'm one of the three that has typed the words The End...a few times now.

Happy Monday!

7 comments:

  1. That's a great stat. to know, especially when we writers start to doubt ourselves! You're right, writing does take a lot of faith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes a leap of faith to do something with your manuscript after you type THE END. That's where the really writing beings.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised that 3% of the people finish a book. That is a higher number than I would have expected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe it's only 3%. That is so tiny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realize so few finished either. Wow! Now that I have typed the words- The End, I did the scary part and started to send out query letters. I already got my first- no thanks- which makes it even scarier to send out more. Oh well- you never get anywhere unless you try right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The leap is terrifying. The landing? Sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. Terrifying. And yet, exhilarating. But I've done it a few times now too. I'd say it gets easier the more times you type the end, but I don't think that's true. Maybe we just get braver?

    ReplyDelete