Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Being Scared - Part 5

Thanks to everyone who left insomnia suggestions on Monday. I'm doing much better now. A couple of things you mentioned helped. You guys are geniuses! :)

Many of my author friends have been struggling lately. With so many things to do, sometimes it is hard to prioritize and easy to feel overwhelmed.

It started me thinking, if there is one thing that every writer has to learn to do, it's multitask. We have to be many-handed, multiple hat-wearing wizards. We must learn to write, edit, revise, plot, outline, tweet, blog, e-mail, phone, etc. etc...sometimes all at the same time. It's also nice to occasionally have lives outside of our writing careers, not always an attainable goal...but nice.

Here is something important to remember. It isn't possible to do it all, at least not all the time. No matter how hard you try, you can't. It doesn't make you a bad person or a failure, it makes you human and to be honest...robots don't tell good stories.

Don't believe me? Ask Siri to tell you an original bedtime story.

Focus on the things that matter to your goals, do those, and work on the other stuff when you have time in between.

And one more thing, cut yourself some slack. We do hard and scary things all the time. Missing one blog post every once in a while isn't worth dragging yourself over the coals. Give yourself a break here and there, getting to your goals will be much more rewarding if you don't burn yourself out on the way.

11 comments:

  1. Love this. It's so true. No matter how much I try to crank out the results like a machine I am human, and it doesn't always work. And I often have to step back from the computer and remember that all of that stuff will always be there--but my life will pass me by if I don't remember to go take part in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I am learning (or trying to learn) that I can't do it all. If I try, everything seems to fall to pieces. It's much better to do one or two things great than a bunch of things poorly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post Jenn! I wish I could do everything, but I find it's more of a dream really. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so hard not to get overwhelmed by everything and just give up. Thanks for the pep-talk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So what you're saying is that it's okay to cry sometimes, and okay to sleep in sometimes, and okay to go to bed at some point? Huh. Well, okay then.

    Thanks.

    Oh, going to have to try that Siri thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this post, Jenn. I am revising my novel (an R+R even more scary lol than regular revising) and I am half in the mode of rushing it because I really like writing it. But there are some days where I just sit at the computer and get nothing done. I am learning to take a few days off if I need to. I don't have deadlines......yet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whenever I get all panicky (usually at work) that I've made a mistake, I always imagine someone confronting me and me defending with "I'M HUMAN. DEAL." Repeating this mantra to myself over and over helps ease the ever-constant pressure to be "perfect" and "get it done right the FIRST time". Because sometimes it takes FOUR or FIVE or SEVENTY times for something to get right. Because WE ARE HUMAN. It's a magical, gorgeous flaw!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Multitasking is my great enemy. My brain doesn't function at a normal speed, I think. It's like an old jalopy--it works in fits and starts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still trying to fit everything in, but sometimes I just have to realize I can't do it all. Like today. Ha ha. ;) Great post, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I needed this reminder today! I've been feeling overwhelmed, and feeling like I couldn't keep up with everything. But it's okay! Sometimes it's okay to let something go for a few days. The world will not end.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree we are often too hard on ourselves, we expect to be able to do it all.

    ReplyDelete