Friday, March 16, 2012

How Writers Are Like Villains

Today, I thought I'd revisit a post from three years ago. Wow, I've been doing this blogging thing for a while now...anyway, carry on and enjoy!

Think writers don't have anything in common with James Bond Villains? Think again. Villains are just writers with slightly stranger habits. Stroking white persian cats while plotting total world domination, for example. Although, I do know a few writers who do exactly that.

Writers spend all their time trying to figure out how to make their characters lives harder. Sounds like a villain, no? What more can I throw at them? Having the parents murdered, the wife run over by a train and the daughter stolen by robot ninjas isn't enough--now he has rabies!! They strive for complication on all levels.

Writers make nothing easy. (Ask any one of them who is simply waiting for a query response and you'll see what I mean.)

They strive for control of every aspect of the entire world (the one they created, anyway). They want to know what everyone is doing, when they're doing it, what they're feeling and who they're feeling it with. They want to make sure they have absolute control of every aspect at their fingertips. Can anyone say "Big Brother"?

The similarities are clear, the only difference I can think up is that writers (if at times begrudgingly) usually allow their characters to have a happy ending. Oh! and most writers don't end up dead or in prison at the end of their books--I think.

So what do you think? If you don't keep up on your Bond villains, let's expand our options. Which classic villain are you the most like?

9 comments:

  1. I don't know many James Bond villains, but I've got the fingers in front of my face, evil glare, maniacal laugh thing down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. None of the James Bond villains come to mind, but I do think I can be rather hard on my MC'S. But I love them, I really do! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does that make me a villain? Cool! I can't think of any good villains, but I'd be more the quiet kind that gets ya when you least expect it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. So true. I can't think of any other type of people where comments like, "I've think I need to kill off Lily today", or "Should I have Maison murder him with a gun or break his neck" are every day comments between a writer and their significant other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never really thought of myself as a villain but after I read this post, I suppose I can't really deny it. I do love to make my characters miserable and then kick them when they're down.

    Never employed any ninja robots though. That just seems like a oversight on my part.

    Loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know what my name would be, but I know I'd make a great villain.

    *shifty eyes*
    *maniacal laugh*


    Proof positive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's obvious I'm a villain because in every story I write, someone either dies or ends up horribly disfigured.

    Whether this person is a 'good' guy or a bad one is pretty 50-50.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I'm made of villain. I ENJOY torturing my characters (emotionally and physically). Gwa ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sheriff Nottingham in Robinhood is my all time favorite. Love that actor.

    ReplyDelete