Monday, March 26, 2012

The Hunger Games Movie Review

I'll start with the movie summary. I'm sure most of you've read the book, but just in case you haven't:

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen volunteers in her younger sister's place to enter the games, and is forced to rely upon her sharp instincts as well as the mentorship of drunken former victor Haymitch Abernathy when she's pitted against highly-trained Tributes who have prepared for these Games their entire lives. If she's ever to return home to District 12, Katniss must make impossible choices in the arena that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Let me say up front, that I did not see this movie under optimum conditions. There was a ridiculously loud vibrating noise coming from the other side of the wall behind the movie screen. After twenty minutes of straining to hear, several people in the theater went to complain, they told us what it was. There was a jackhammer being used outside...yes, a jackhammer. Seriously.

So I watched the movie I've been so excited to see under these circumstances...

And it was still epic.

The cast was incredible. When I saw the first scene with Liam Hemsworth (Gale) I leaned over and whispered to my sister, "Peeta better be incredible." And he was. Josh Hutcherson (Peeta) comes to life as soon as he's picked as tribute. His personality fits the character like a glove. He won me over before they even reached the Capital. Woody Harrelson (Haymitch) stumbled perfectly through his role and Lenny Kravitz (Cinna)'s performance was poignant and beautiful.

Even with all these stellar actors, they all paled in comparison to Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss. She was everything I pictured in my head. Her facial expressions conveyed so much emotion, it was like seeing her thoughts. Loved her. Just incredible.

This is the first time in memory that a movie based on a book I loved inspired the same strength of feelings as the book itself. It is easily the best movie I've seen in a long time, and a strong candidate for my list of all-time favorites.

See it. That is all.

8 comments:

  1. Let me add this little tid bit to your review if you don;t mind...

    If you HAVEN't read the book, DON'T see it until you have. Other wise you will be INCREDIBLY confused. I have not read the book, and for more than half the movie I had NO idea what was going on. They do not do a good job explaining things if you don't already know.

    Just an FIY. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, thanks for that, Marian. I had no clue it was that confusing if you hadn't seen it. Good to know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AGREE X10

    I admit that I wasn't sure I was going to like this movie. And I really wasn't sure if I was going to like Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss.

    And instead, I was blown away.

    At first, I was cautious with the jerky cinematography in District 12, but still pleased with the acting. But by the time they got to the Capitol, I was completely entranced.

    And yes, Jennifer Lawrence took my breath away. She did an INCREDIBLE job.

    And Haymitch! And Cinna (totes got choked up in the scene where he's prepping her to go up into the arena.) And even Ceasar Flickman. Stanley Tucci was perfect in that role. :)

    Overall, I was so so pleased. I can't wait to see it again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stanley Tucci is always amazing and Lenny Kravitz I thought was a great pick for Cinna. I though they did a stellar job with casting! I also blogged today about my thoughts on the movie: http://stephsessa.blogspot.com/2012/03/hunger-games.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the movie too! I felt it stayed as true as a movie can to the book.
    It was so well done that my kids found it disturbing. The way the government makes 24 kids sacrifice themselves. We had a great talk on the way home. Then talked it over with hubby. And youth. And their parents. The question mostly asked is: what's so redeeming about this movie??
    Almost all the youth answered: hope.

    All that being said, I got motion sick! I had to leave the theater right after the kissing scene. Sheesh. So I HAVE to watch it again. And sit up high.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear it lives up to the book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I HAVE to see this movie. So far I havent heard a single gosh darn negative comment about it. How often does that happen, especially with YA book-to-movies??

    ReplyDelete