Monday, April 30, 2012

Differing Roads to Publication

Some of you know this story, some know pieces, others know all. Some of you may not know any of it. So, I'll do a slightly abbreviated version of the whole trip--forgotten luggage, missed flights, trains going the wrong direction--the whole bit. Of course, names may be changed to protect the innocent.

From here on out, you can call me Gertrude.

Once upon a time, I went on submission. I'd seen a few friends do it. I knew what to expect. You go out, you wait an allotted amount of time, you either sell or you don't, life goes on. I was prepared. -- Wrong.

Mistake...no, that's harsh...let's call it:

Misunderstanding #1 - No one can ever prepare for being on submission. Everyone's journey is different. You just can't.

So, my book was out in the world. Now, I would sit back and wait for one of those two things (sell or not) to happen. Less than two weeks later, we had a U.S. offer.

Yay! Huzzah! *happy dance* and all that hoopla, right? Wrong.

Misunderstanding #2 - Getting an offer does not mean you are done.

It was an offer, and we were ecstatic!! But it wasn't a good fit. So, we kept looking. Two weeks later, we got an e-mail from a literary scout who had somehow gotten her hands on my book and LOVED it.

Hooray! I love when people love my book!! What's a literary scout, anyway? Probably not a very big deal, right? Wrong.

Misunderstanding #3 - A literary scout LOVING a book is HUGE. Massively, excitingly, deals & auctions in other countries huge. (For more info on this, click here.)

So, here I was, getting published in two foreign countries and not the U.S. yet. Everything had happened so fast. Okay, so this road was nothing like the other friends I've seen, but still...not too shabby. Then we got an offer from two major U.S. houses to do a revision with their fantastic editors. Hooray! So close! I can't get this close and have it not work out, right? ...Wrong.

Misunderstanding #4 - No matter how much an editor loves your book. Occasionally, it is out of their control and they still can't buy it. (Selling foreign rights first has its perks for sure, but there are also drawbacks. But I'll save that for another post.)

I'm not going to lie. At this point, I was broken. I was convinced the Universe was conspiring against me getting my book published in a language I can actually read.

I possess a fairly thick skin, but the ups-and-downs were beating me to a pulp and I was waving the proverbial white flag. I e-mailed my agent and asked her if we could please just shelve it and maybe come back to it later. After all, if I was ready to give up, she should be, too. Right? ...Wrong.


Misunderstanding #5 - The best agent is the one who won't give up on you (or your books) when there is still hope, even if you beg them to.

The amazing Kathleen said we weren't there yet. She reminded me that all along, we'd had interest and we just hadn't found the right fit yet...and then, she found it.

Misunderstanding #6 - If you don't find the right fit immediately, it doesn't mean it isn't still out there...waiting.

Flux is seriously the perfect fit. They even have a Male Protagonist section on their website, for goodness sake! And even though we took a bit of a meandering route for INSOMNIA to end up there, I couldn't be happier.

I've been waiting for a while to announce, and I'm so happy I finally got to share my news. Thank you for all the support. You all rock. :)

Everyone's road is different, but we all want to end up in the same place. We all have different ups-and-downs, we all struggle and thrive at different times. And we all work our butts off for every inch we gain.

I don't wish I'd had less bumps. I'm happy for the strength and understanding I got from each bruise and even though it hurt like crazy...I know I'm a better writer because of it.

So, there you go. And yes, this is totally the abbreviated version. If you read this far, you totally deserve a cookie.

17 comments:

  1. I don't think anyone gets through without a struggle, but I am very excited you've reached the promised land. I can only imagine how great that would feel!

    Congrats that all your hard work paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Non traditional is the way to go! :)Kinda makes us feel silly for doing all those Google searches like, "how long does getting a book published take," and how long before I hear back from an interested agent/editor" etc.

    Umm... we all did that, right?

    Any, I am so happy it worked out or you so well, and can't wait to read! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Flux!! You two sound like you will be very happy together :) and I am THRILLED your book is getting published in a language I can read too!!

    HAPPY NEWS FTW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Congrats on finding the right home!

    I went into submision thinking that if the editor loved it you were in...wrong.

    You're right about everyone having different roads and bruises. AND that we all learn and grow along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... You've been on quite a journey! I had no idea that you could publish abroad BEFORE publishing here in the US.

    Kudos to you and your wonderful agent for sticking it out through all of those ups and downs. I'm glad everything worked out for you in the end.

    Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your journey has definitely been your own and what an exciting journey it's been! I'm so happy for you (and for me being able to read it in English!) and you do have the perfect agent for you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A rocky journey with a happy ending, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's certainly eye-opening. I guess we all think getting an agent would be the last of our worries, but being on submission sounds daunting! Glad it worked out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenn thank you for sharing. I've been a blog reader since you got Kathleen as your agent de awesome, and I loved reading that your book sold in Italy and Germany. But I didn't know about the whole US editors lovin it but then couldn't buy it story. Sighs. BUT I am so glad/happy/estastic you are FLUX author. =D I love that your story was your own.:)
    HOLY FREAKIN UNICORNS, you did it!!!<3

    ReplyDelete
  10. SQUEEEE!!! Jenn, I'm SO PROUD of you! I know this feeling, all too well. Because I lived it too. CON--FREAKING--GRATS! I couldn't be more thrilled if it was my own book. You earned the celebration, so live it large. :) I'm tweeting this awesome announcement!!! I've been WAITING and WAITING to hear this news from you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so excited for you Jenn! Your journey has been a roller coaster, but a good one! I'm so glad you are getting published in the US! Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone! You're all so great! Thanks for all your support and your encouragement. It's nice to finally share my story with great friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just found out your big news!!! I've been MIA from the blogosphere for a while, but I'm so happy that the first thing I see when I started to check out my reader was this!!! I'm so happy for you!! And I'm glad Kathleen never let you give up...I know she's so awesome!! Big, fat CONGRATULATIONS to you!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations Jenn! Now when do we get to play Lego Heroica?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nick! You know you were so helpful in making this book happen. :) You rock. Also...SOON! When you guys are ready, one of you e-mail me and we'll set it up.

      Delete