Monday, May 28, 2012

And I'm Kind of a Navy Seal

Up until the last couple of years, I could barely swim at all. The doggy paddle was the max end of my aquatic skill level. I'd never taken much of an interest in swimming because I have asthma and doing a classic freestyle is out of the question. My lungs just don't have the capacity to maintain my breathing in that way--no, I know what you're thinking, it isn't simply because I'm ridiculously uncoordinated.

No, that's not it.

Really.

Anyway, so two years ago I decided to try swimming for exercise and see how that worked for me. I figured maybe I could make up a stroke I could do on my back or something.

Yes, I said "make up" because that is exactly how much I knew about swimming. The idea that someone else had already made up a stroke that could be done on your back...a back-stroke per se...never occurred to me.

While at the pool that day, I noticed someone doing a stroke on their side so I copied the motions and have been doing it ever since. I started out unable to do even a quarter mile at a time, now I easily do a mile every time I go.

And. I. Love. It.

So the other day, I decided to check out You Tube and see if they had any instructional videos on the side stroke--I thought it might be a good idea to see if I was doing it correctly. Imagine my surprise when I found out that the side-stroke, the stroke I've been doing for a year, is the official swim style of the Navy Seals.



Yep, that's what I do six days a week. Yes, I recognize that I might look more the part of the seal than the navy when I swim, but the point is...um...the point is--------that swimming with me could very well save your life.

At least that's what I got from it.

6 comments:

  1. Great post, Jenn. I'm still waiting for your package (I may call up school and ask them if they got it because uhhh yeah I stupidly had you send it there just as I left gr!)... I'm not a strong swimmer either but I took swimming lessons for years because I was determined at sleepaway camp to pass the swimming test. But nope every year I choked up at the tredding water for a minute. Sigh. My favorite stroke through is the back stroke. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You're so dangerous all of a sudden.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha this is excellent.

    I'm not much of a swimmer....I really don't like being unable to breathe. I think it comes (in part, at least) from a near-drowing experience when I was six years old, which I remember quite vividly despite my age at the time.

    Now I run. I used to be awful at it, then I got a little better, then a little better, and a little better still. Took forever, but I'm running a half marathon this summer (!!!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. And now I'm afraid of you. Even more than I was after reading your books. It's not even like you bought a lethal weapon, you ARE the lethal weapon. Hard core.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know you did that! so cool! I swim with the kids. I should do more of it because summer's here. (I just hate to get in that swimsuit.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL That part where you said 'make up a stroke you could do on your back' made me laugh very very hard. This is why I love you so so much. :) Plus, if I ever needed someone to save my life in a pool, I would totally scream for you. (You probably wouldn't be there because of the whole we live in totally different states thing, but I'd scream for you anyway. I'd channel your spirit.) :)

    ReplyDelete