Friday, May 18, 2012

Remembering Not to Suck

Every time I dive into edits there is an adjustment to make. When I'm drafting, I turn off my inner editor and give myself permission to suck. When I dive into revisions and edits, I turn it back on and it responds a little something like this:


And there is much suckage throughout the land. So, I take a deep breath, remember it is like this with every book, the sun will come out tomorrow and all that. And do my very best not to look like this:


Or this:


Because we have to go through the Bog of Suckitude to get to the glowing Wheat Fields of Brilliance...or sometimes just as far as the lush Meadow of Mediocrity. Either way, we're better off than where we started, because really...who wants to live in the Bog?

10 comments:

  1. Dude, I feel the same way. Every Time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like that baby all the time lately! Oh wait, maybe it's because I live with that baby! My two year loves scream/bawling like that. Geesh I need a break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know the meadows of mediocrity were lush. I didn't even realize they were meadows. I'm totally good with stopping there. Who needs wheat fields anyway. :) (You rock and so do your books)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cycle sounds eerily familiar. I have sympathy. And your books don't suck. Just FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that first picture about takes the cake for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Bog of Suckitude. I love it...well, I don't love being in it, but I love that now I have something to call my eternal state of editing. What up Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if we didn't let ourselves suck the first time around, if we would get anything written at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hee hee hee. I'm totally working on being sucky right now. First drafts are the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just seen this post, and that first picture? That is actually my face when I realise how sucky my first drafts are. Every. Single. Time.

    Thank goodness for wine and chocolate! :D

    ReplyDelete