Friday, June 8, 2012

How Much Can We Do? - And Congrats to Kasie!!

*FIRST THINGS FIRST* Have you all gone to congratulate the lovely Kasie West on her fantabulous news yet? She sold ANOTHER series to HarperTeen!!! She will be debuting TWO young adult series in 2013!! Stop by and celebrate with her! :)

Ahem, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

~~~~~



Marketing is an interesting part of our jobs. I feel like there are many things we, as authors, can do to help promote ourselves and our work. There are some basics that every author should consider doing that I mentioned in this Marketing 101 post, but outside of that, is there a limit to how much an author can really do to affect their sales?

I think the answer is yes. *cue audience gasp* I know, I know, I'm always preaching the virtues of marketing, but I have my reasons.

I don't know yet how much my publishers will be doing to help me in the marketing arena. It could be less or more than I expect and I honestly wouldn't be too surprised either way. I have very little control over what my publishers do. I can only control my own involvement. But, in regards to the investment of my time, how much is the right amount?

It makes me wonder, how many other authors/writers spend time thinking this question over? I would bet most of us, because it's a difficult balance to find and the answer probably varies from one person to the next.

What about you? How much time can/should you devote to marketing? Especially when considering that much of the time that goes toward marketing has to be taken away from time writing/editing/family/other areas?

I truly value marketing. I know what it can do, and I intend to use it to the best of my ability...but I also know it has limits. No matter how much time you put into it, I've come to believe firmly in one hard fact:

After an author has done all they can do to promote their own book, it all comes down to making sure that the book they're promoting is really good. Without that, all the marketing in the world won't matter at all.

Any thoughts?

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jenn!! And yes, you now how hopeless I am in marketing so when you get all the answers, will you give them to me? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *know how hopeless

    Apparently I need some editing skills as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a big long comment up, but I feel like it was more appropriate for an email than a public comment. :) I'll send it to you, Jenn, if you didn't get it already. Let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get it and I thought it was really good and insightful. I'm a little sad you took it down, but I understand. Thanks for commenting either way.

      Delete
  5. Yay for Kasie!! :D I've been freaking out about marketing, but what it all comes down to is to do all I can and hope for the best, you know? :) Great post. Got me thinking...

    ReplyDelete