Monday, June 11, 2012

Never SURRENDER Blogfest!

As part of the celebration for the release of Elana Johnson's new book, SURRENDER, I'm posting today about a time when I did surrender...and also didn't.

I never wanted to be a writer. I didn't think it was something I'd ever enjoy...but at a tough time in my life, my head filled up with a story and it wouldn't go away. So I wrote it down, and I loved every moment of it.

It was a story that saved me in some ways. It kept me sane when my life was anything but...and I loved it. Then like most 1st books, I realized it wasn't very good.

I rewrote it from scratch three times and did at least fifteen rounds of hard-core revisions. By the time I finished, there wasn't a single page that was the same one I started out with.

Then I queried and got request after request(Yay!)...and rejection after rejection.(Boo!)

There was a simple truth that I had to accept: Even with all my hard work and everything I'd learned, my book still wasn't good enough.

So, I was faced with two choices:

1 - Surrender the fight to be published.
2 - Surrender the fight to be published with this book.

You know which one I chose, and I'll be forever glad that I did. I wrote another book and kept going, kept writing, and kept getting better.

See, the truth is, all aspiring authors have a reason, a temptation...even a hunger to surrender on a regular basis. There are millions of hurdles on the path to publication, and I'm just talking about one of mine, but know this...it takes strength and drive to keep going.

No matter where we are on the journey -- We are driven. We are strong. -- Because we're still trying.

If you want to know more about/be a part of Elana's Never Surrender Blogfest, click here. And you can buy SURRENDER here! Also, get entered here for a swag package!

a Rafflecopter giveaway

13 comments:

  1. Never surrender!
    Great post, Jenn! Sometimes we don't think about choosing the same thing, only the better part. To not pursue publishing or to not pursue it with THAT book. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all so true. Glad to know it payed off for you, gives me hope to keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Jenn! I'm so glad you surrendered in one case, because it's never good to hold onto that first book forever. And I'm glad you didn't, because now we get to read your awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That’s great. There ARE times to give up part of what you want, because you realize it’s not best. But never surrender that which shouldn’t be given up!
    ~Aidyl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn - great post for today as I just started POSSESSION. (BTW thank you for getting the original cover...I love the white - it is really eye catching) So far I love the book and look forward to reading SURRENDER. This one time I never surrendered.......:) I was born 4 months early and the drs told my parents I would never survive or I'd be sick (or mentally retarded). I am none of those things as I am a)still alive b) not often sick and c) thankfully not MR. With my writing there are a lot of days when I want to surrender but I don't. (I just remind myself I can ALWAYS self pub:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing. This is a great post. You are right that sometimes we do have to surrender something but keep going for something better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Jenn! I love to hear success stories....and to know every success story also started with rejections. Just stopping by from the blog hop! I really enjoyed reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved hearing about a story ending up turning out well!! It just shows you that perseverance pays off. We should all keep that in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spot on. Like a friend of mine once said (when he burned his draft), "Sometimes there's no fixin' shit." That's not to say your ms. was, but rather to say sometimes what you wrote isn't what you expected.

    Thankfully, you started another book. Many just quit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So have one copy printed and call it a limited edition! If YOU love it, that's enough.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the giveaway! I can't wait to read this series!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So true! Changing focus is not surrendering. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is very admirable, indeed! And all the work you did on that first book wasn't for nothing. It's made you the author you are today--one with an awesome book coming out in three countries at once! I can't wait to read it and, in your case, I'm glad you did AND didn't surrender. :-)

    ReplyDelete