Friday, June 15, 2012

Summer Writing Schedule

A couple of weeks ago, I had you ask me questions/topics you wanted me to post about. The lovely, Nichole Giles asked me to post about how I adjust to a summer writing schedule.

I think this is very different from person to person. For myself, I have two boys that are 7 and 10. They are good at playing by themselves for a couple of hours at a time, but I value the time I have with them during the summer, too. I don't want to miss out on that.

It ends up being a fine balance, but to start, I have them help with chores (giving me more time for both writing and family), then I play a card game/play outside/jump on the trampoline with them for 1 - 2 hours, then I have them play without me for that long while I write. I've also found ways to schedule time for them to have friends over & reading time in a way to open up time for me to write, also.

For us, it's all about having a good schedule. They know they're my priority, but they're also very up to date on my career and are proud of me for what I'm doing, so they don't mind me taking the time to do work.

Having all that said...if I had more (or less) than two, younger kids, etc... it would all be out the window. Still, I think if it's a priority for you, you'll figure it out.

What about you? How do you find time to write in the summer?

5 comments:

  1. How funny--my kids are the same age as yours (my boy is 10, my daughter is 7). I don't get much writing done during the summer, unfortunately, but I do try to fit a little in every day. I check my email/social network sites several times during the day (10 minutes here, 10 minutes there). This way, when the kids go to bed at night, I can focus on writing/editing. I totally agree with what you said--if it's important to you, you figure a way to do it. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on this. I have three kids (8, 10, 12 years old). They can play fairly well on their own (when they aren't fighting), which makes it easy to forget to spend time with them during the summer. I'm making sure this doesn't happen. Writing isn't going to be my #1 priority. Spending time with them will. (You might need to remind me that, though). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer is going to be tricky for me I think. I've set a goal for myself to write 2,000 words a day and I'm not always the fastest writer. What I'm going to aim to do is to write at least 1,000 words in the morning before we go anywhere if at all possible. And then if I can't squeeze anymore during the day, I'll try and get the next 1,000 words written once they are in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to be honest.....I'm working wicked hard on revisions (r+r), but this is not different than my summer writing. Actually scratch that. Last summer I was half in Australia (still!!!), half in California and then at the Jersey shore. I did little to no writing. I did basic line editing. Then I queried. LMAO. I do not advise this, Jenn. I really don't. Line editing your book and then querying? No wonder I got soooo many form rejections! (*I promise to one day post about this adventure of LOL-querying....if i ever get an agent)
    Good luck with your summer schedule. I am sure you are going to rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Writing? What's writing? I miiiiiisssss writing. Help.....

    Yeah, I don't think I'll adjust to summer writing with 6 kids. But I do have an awesome hubby who tells me to 'get out of the house' in the nicest way possible. He told me when he comes home that I need to leave for 2 hours a night. This is how I will write this summer. I love him so much. :)

    ReplyDelete