Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Editing Side-Effects

I'm editing. This means a few things to me.

It means I am staying up too late. My brain doesn't fully kick in until about noon. I have accepted this. I'm much more of a night owl than a morning person, but I have kids that have to get up and go to school. Which means I am a staying up too late and getting up too early person. You can tell I'm editing by the dark circles under my eyes, the inability to stop yawning in the mornings, and the self-imposed naptime schedule.

It means I keep munchies handy for quick snacks, but usually never remember to eat them. Thus, it means my kids get super excited to have said munchies laying around the house all vulnerable and exposed. I guess it works well for both of us.

It also means that I'm hyper-critical of everything I'm doing. I don't just edit my book, I edit my life. When I'm in edit-mode, I find more efficient ways to keep the dishes in the kitchen done, better plans to keep the car clean, and add new labels to my email inbox.

Am I crazy? Do other people do this too? It makes me wonder. Also, if you haven't entered to win my Giveaway, you can do so now. :)

12 comments:

  1. When I'm editing, I get super focused. It means that the ear buds are in my ears and I'm drowning away in the music and words. I don't typically start editing my life, though. Maybe I should. :D Running over to the giveaway right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being focused is always a good thing. :)

      Delete
  2. I am in the same crazy editing-boat you are, with BONDED. I'm really tired. I can't even leave a very good comment, but I did read your post and it made me smile to know I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making you smile is a great accomplishment. We should get together and commiserate when we're both done.

      Delete
  3. That is cool. I need more editing so I can get my laundry done! Wish I did that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, so maybe I am the only one who does this. :) Interesting.

      Delete
  4. When I accomplish my writing/editing goal for the day that's when I straighten up my house/life. lol
    you've heard the old saying, "if you want something done, give it to the busiest person you know." That could be part of your editing experience? Do you feel you are busier writing or editing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely busier editing. I never really thought about it that way. :)

      Delete
  5. Why hello there, fellow night owl. My writing is about 40-70 percent better at night. I'm trying grow up and go to bed at a decent hour, but then the words suffer for it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello back! I've tried that. It doesn't work for me. You know what this makes me wonder? Does our night owl writing preference play into the fact that we both write darker books? Hmm...I shall ponder this. :)

      Delete
    2. Yes! We are not sunshine people and therefore do not write sunshine books. It's all starting to make sense...

      Delete
  6. Can we be crazy together, Jenn? Also, night owl stuff. I was up until 430 last night. This is...not good.

    ReplyDelete