Monday, August 13, 2012

The Olympics & Dreaming your Dream

I've loved watching the Olympics these last couple of weeks. There is something breathtaking about seeing people chase their dreams.

It's written plainly on their faces: the absolute joy of success, the heart-breaking agony of failure. These people have invested everything they have in this one sprint, this one swim, this one moment.

This is commitment.

It takes a kind of madness, a desperation, to chase a dream in such a way. It's a madness I respect. I hope some piece of it lives in me.

Watching these Olympians inspires me. I want to be like them, to strive to improve with every book, every chapter, every sentence. I try to get better every day. Some days I get one step closer to that gold medal, some days I take a step back...but the dream remains. And I chase it every day.

What dreams do you reach for? What inspires you to get there?

8 comments:

  1. That pic is hilarious, Jenn--and so apt! Blunt and stubborn determination in one shot. And for sure, writers have to be a bit crazy to keep doing what we do! For me, I try to take it day by day and not think about much apart from the story and just needing to get it down. Otherwise the pressure can be crushing, and then the fear sets in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think focusing on the story is a great way to handle the pressure. You know what else works? Hitting stuff with a bat. Just sayin'. ;-) Thanks for the comment, Elsie!

      Delete
  2. You totally DO improve with each book. And you are one of the best dream-chasers I know. *hug*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! :) This comment made my morning. *hugs*

      Delete
  3. OMG, I just loooove that pic!!! <3
    And right! Watching the Olimpics inspired me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Isn't it freaking adorable? :) Love! :)

      Delete
  4. Ha! I LOVE that picture of the little boy. He's cute and impish all at the same time. Either way, I definitely wouldn't want to cross him.

    And I totally agree. The Olympics really can be inspiring, can't they? Especially when you hear about how people have overcome difficulties and then go on to win.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow That's Nice Pic . Olympics really can be inspired me !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete