Wednesday, September 5, 2012

That Moment

Every author has a moment when they nod and agree to do something that they aren't quite prepared for. It might be anything from a particular signing, a difficult round of edits, or teaching at a conference. They usually agree to do it with a smile, looking confident, maybe even excited...but somewhere in the back of their mind there is someone screaming:

"What? NO! No, I can't do this! This isn't something I'm remotely prepared for! Please don't make me! I'll do anything! I'll even learn to use commas correctly if you just won't MAKE me do this!"

*weeping*
*wailing*
*gnashing of teeth*

For me, it turns out that this moment comes at the hands of a class of 5th graders. I'm not even sure why it scares me so much. I think it's partly because I write upper YA so I always assumed I'd mostly be talking to older teens. It also makes me nervous because it's my son's class. I keep picturing how embarrassed I would've been if my mom showed up to teach us about something, couldn't speak, accidentally knocked the chalk board down, injured my classmates and then curled into the fetal position in the corner, endlessly repeating the words "I'm a hermit." and "Author communes are good."

Because when I picture it in my head, this is what happens.

Anyway, I'm heading off to do this today. Wish me luck, and pray for the kids. ;-)

17 comments:

  1. Good luck! I know exactly how you feel. I'm giving a workshop on Friday. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Good to know I'm not alone. Good luck with your workshop! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, that sounds fun! But I can understand why it would freak you out. That moment came for me when Rhemalda called me up and said I would be going on TV in two days. I pretty much had a meltdown even though it ended up awesome. It still scares me just thinking back on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. I remember when I heard that being terrified for you! I'm glad it turned out so well!

      Delete
  3. Good luck! My son's teachers have asked me to come in a couple times and talk about writing. It's always a good reminder of why I am not an elementary school teacher. You'll be awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Jenilyn! Now I know who to come to when I need tips for next time! ;-)

      Delete
  4. Although I totally hope that doesn't happen to you...thats friggin hilarious! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I can count on you to laugh at me. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Oh, you'll be great! They'll love you. Don't worry. You'll just find out how much you love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just finished and it really was SO fun! :)

      Delete
  6. Haha, I doubt any of that will happen, if it's any consolation ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. It was fine. I actually had a great time.

      Delete
  7. Good luck, I hope you have a great day! And remember the motto if you do knock over something: Keep Calm and Pretend its on the Lesson Plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks, Cheyanne!

      Delete
  8. That's so scary! How did it go? I hope it went super well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, god.

    Why won't the world let us be hermits, J.R.? Why?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh. NO! School visits pretty much terrify me. Are you still alive? Did anyone have to call an ambulance? And if it worked, what the heck did you talk about? *waits with a notebook and pen* I hope you'll tell all!

    ReplyDelete