Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Visiting the Publisher - Flux

Last week, after my awesome visit to Green Bay. I had the opportunity to go to the Flux offices and meet so many great people. My editor, Brian Farrey, is fantastic. It was so fun to meet him in person, and huge props to him for coming in to meet me even when he was sick. :( Thanks, Brian!

He gave me the tour, complete with color commentary, which I very much appreciated. We were basically winding in, out, and around a maze of quiet cubicles.

Extremely quiet.

I'd never really thought about this, but they have the accounting department next to the editors and when editors are reading(which they do a lot) , they prefer to focus in silence (at least the ones at Flux do). So, I got to meet the publisher, my publicist, my cover designer, my copy-editor and quite a few other amazing people who were SO friendly and excited to meet me. Our conversations went something like this:

Me: Hi! It's so great to meet you!
Awesome Flux Person: *whispers* It's exciting to meet you, too! I love INSOMNIA!
Me: *remembers to whisper* Oh, thank you so much! I can't wait to get to work on (insert area of the book they will work on here) with you.
Awesome Flux Person: *whispers* It's going to be great. I have you on my schedule for (insert time frame here). I'm looking forward to it.
Me: *whispers* *realizes this feels like a VERY friendly library* Oh, you're so organized! I love it!

Hushed epicness abounded. I loved it.

After the tour, I went to lunch with Brian, Steven (Flux's Publicity Director--Maggie Stiefvater describes him as 'dapper' and that he really should have a monocle and pocket watch. I couldn't agree more.), and Mallory (my publicist--she's new, adorable, and told me her main focus right now is not scaring authors. Well done, Mallory, well done). Lunch was great and so informative. I can't even tell you how excited I am about what they have in store for me and my book. I thought I'd learned so much since I got my agent and book deal, but there is still so much to learn and I can't wait for the next step. :)

13 comments:

  1. OMG I love Steven! I've met him before at various book events (BEA, ALA) and he is super dapper and nice. I'm so glad your trip to Flux was successful and fun, Jenn!!!!:) I can't wait to hear all your steps to book deal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize you'd met Steven! :) Isn't he great? Love him.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that's so awesome! I'm so excited for you, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *waggles finger* Shame, shame for not taking more pictures, though I must say, you do an excellent job painting the scene with words alone. I could imagine it all quite well.

    Hey! You should, like, write a book or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...you're a genius. And I agree! I'm a terrible slacker for not taking pictures. Mostly I was just trying to string words together in a logical manner...you know how it is. ;-)

      Delete
  4. ugh soooooo jealous. I'm starting to think I have extreme envy issues. Aside from that, how are you doing? We need to meet up at football games more often...when you're not visiting the publisher :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We should SO do this! It made it so much more fun!

      Delete
  5. Oh, wow, so much fun! I love the idea it was a "very friendly library," lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the whispering! How awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete